Large Scale Central

Review? Bachmann's NEW brass track

Any of you with any personal experience with Bachmann’s new brass track? Last issue of Garden Railways, back cover, has the ad.
The claims of durability are clearly stated. Now, as to hands-on quality assessments – any experience?
Thanks,
Wendell

From what I’ve seen of it hanging on the shelf at the local hobby shop, it seems/feels every bit as robust as the track from the other guys. Connects nicely, too. Curious that the underside of the foot of the rail is not flat, but has a very shallow inverted “V” shape, presumably to cut material costs/weight without sacrificing performance. Bummer that they only make it in 4’ and tighter radii, where most of their 1:20 stuff needs 4’ and larger. But I like the looks of the ties compared to the other guys. Definitely a bit more “narrow gaugey” for the US narrow gauge folks.

Later,

K

Kevin-
Any pricing comparisons with LGB/Aristo/PIKO - MSRP, etc. and the offered price? As to local shops here in SoCalif few are left; likely mailorder will be the option. Hopefully, you will get the nod to do a review at Garden RR.

It’s comparable that I can tell, running in the neighborhood of $8/foot.

Later,

K

I have been paying between 4 and 5 dollars a foot.
Tom

Tom-
The price you state is for the Bachmann?
If so, please offer your opinion of the quality.

Wendell
That price is for Bachmann brass track. I think it is very good. I have not had it long enough to tell what time may do, but I think it will be just as good as the other brands.
The base is kind of an inverted V. People have commented that it is to save money, but I think it adds strength to the rail. The joiners have a hole and a slot. The screws are 2mm.
The V causes some mismatch with brand X rail joiners. I can hardly wait for some switches.
Tom

Tom-
Judging by your number of entries, welcome to the forum topics!
Wendell

Thank you Wendell
I am new to the forum and to the hobby.
There is a lot to learn.
Tom

Up to now I had only seen this track in online photos. I got my first chance to actually handle it at the ECLSTS, and to talk to the Bachmann Rep there. It is sensibly lighter in weight that other brass track, and on closer examination of the profile one can see why. The base of the rail extrusion is hollowed out by a shallow obtuse isoceles triangle, giving the company a reduction in its brass consumption of some 15%, and allowing them to offer the finished product at a correspondingly reduced price.

Yep, as tom reported 3 posts above yours last year, that’s part of the cost savings.

Also realize Bachmann is owned by the manufacturer Kader, so additional cost savings there too!

Greg