Large Scale Central

Resin Frog Castings

Allen, I beg to differ. I am track power in large scale and DCC in HO. I have made frogs in both scales out of JB Weld and neither has created a short.

It been a good 15 yrs. since I used it to make the frogs . I know it was JB Weld ,but ma be it was a different blend or maby I have bin mistaken.

Well, since so many things have been made less expensively (read cheaper) over the years, you could be right about it 15 years ago. But I did a test before I used it for frogs, and the batch I have is not conductive

I am define going to take another look at it. It doesn't bother me anymore since all my stuff is battery powered. I going to doing some O Scale in battery  in the future now.

Craig Townsend said:

What about melting aluminum down say from a free source, and casting the frogs in aluminum?

That’s exactly what I’m planning on doing. I’m going to wait till I build my metal furnace that will melt other higher temp metals too. But with aluminum you could melt it with a torch and steel ladle. You would also have to us a lost wax casting method with the aluminum, which is also what I plan on doing, someday.