Large Scale Central

Requests?

Bob,

My request/question: any possibility of by-passing the siding requirement and going directly to the industry with length given for the industry? That would eliminate any chance of doing the siding-industry shuffle.

I’m not sure what you mean. Get rid of sidings? No, thats a basic design tenet. Industries live on sidings, which are in locations. What exactly is your issue with sidings?

Bob McCown said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Get rid of sidings? No, thats a basic design tenet. Industries live on sidings, which are in locations. What exactly is your issue with sidings?
My issue with sidings is the extra step it takes to get an "out" car (empty) to an industry. Invariably the car moves first to the siding and only on the next cycle to the industry. If there's only one industry on that siding that's an unnecessary delay. It may be required with multiple industries on one siding, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The siding to industry of empties seems to be the cause of the shuffling. At least that’s what I noticed in my locations.

That’ll only happen with “when empty return to” cars. Returned empties get placed at the siding that the industry sits on, but not at the industry because they’re not needed at the industry yet.

Think of it in real life. Grain cars, lets say, will get returned to the industry, but not put under the grain loader until they’re needed. Same thing happens here.

Actually that happened a lot more before you added the “return when empty”.

I’ll have to “reconstruct” the railway first and I’ll change a few things. Time will tell how much shuffling will happen.

While we’re on the “do it like the proto” theme, since Landquart is the start and end of the line and has a switcher assigned: how does one assemble a train and then assign the road engine?

The car shuffling before was a bug, everyone reported it.

You all (not just you, HJ, I’ve fielded a few emails, too) need to remember that this is in-progress, beta quality software, and may not work as you think it will. It also has bugs, and I’ve changed the way it works a number of times to get it to where it works for most of us, most of the time.

It’s also not a heavy-duty operations program. There are already a number of them out there, and we’re not targeting that small market. If you’re looking to add a bit of randomness and move some cars around in a sort-of prototypical manner, then TrainOps is for you. If you want to run 25 scheduled trains and track every car movement to ensure it behaves like the prototype, I’ll point you to RailOp or Interchange.

Bob,

I fully realize that. I looked at RailOp - too much with too many whistles. That’s why I give this a spin. I doubt that we’ll be running 25 trains a day. :slight_smile: