Large Scale Central

Replacing Aristo Tie Strips

The Aristo track at my club is starting to deteriorate, no surprise in sunny FL. I am looking for a current manufacturer that makes tie strips that will fit the Aristo rail profile without have to make some kind of fixture to press fit it in place. Any recommendations?

American profile, or Euro profile?

Euro is more sturdy !

Edit: to state with 332 brass rail and my opinion/experience only !

Bob, I have used LGB ties with Aristo rail for over 15 years and they seem to be holding up quite well. Although we don’t get the sun in southwestern PA like you do in Florida, I have been very pleased with them. I originally had Aristo ties but felt that the plastic wasn’t going to be very durable so I only used them on the indoor section. I ended up with some new AML (Accucraft) ties that also fit the Aristo rail but I still prefer the LGB. Mark

Bob, how badly are they deteriorating? Perhaps you can extend their life a bit with Armor All. If restores plyability to plastic, as well as protecting from UV. That will give you time to collect the right stuff.

@ David - most are currently US profile. Although we have some Euro. I am not so much concerned over the tie spacing as the delta between replacing tie strips vs. track.

@Rooster - My experience as well. My current concern is availability of SOMETHING that will fit Aristo brass rail without the need for special treatment for installation.

@Mark - At this time my concern with LGB is somewhat mirroring Aristo…availability. I will check with Axel and see what the availability and pricing point is.

@Steve - Good point on the Armorall…had forgotten about that. Right now it is somewhat in the early stages, but we know how fast this stuff can accelerate.

I heard wood ties will fit :wink:

(http://oi57.tinypic.com/14ukocj.jpg)

You can get the Train-li ProTie SG for $1 each when you buy 100 or they have them listed for $12.95 for 10. They say they are LGB compatible so they should work on aristo as well.

http://www.trainli.com/ties-c-295_54_92_156.html

Armor all helps too. Just remember to wipe the rail head down after you spray it. Ask me how I know…

Terry

Bob- You could also extend the life of your Aristo ties with a little spray paint. I needed to revive some Aristo ties during my railroad rebuild. I’m way too lazy to remove all the tiny screws and seperate the ties and rails, sooooo… I came up with the Kevin Method. You can find it here-

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22149/iron-island-rr-take-two?page=3

-Kevin.

I used a drinking straw slit down the side. Just slide it along and spray away with black paint, or color you prefer. (and its cheap)

@Shawn - Yep so did I. Are you volunteering to come to sunny Florida and spike 1500 feet for us. We can give you a wonderful sun tan.

@Terry - Axel is on my list to contact as well for the LGB strips. Talked to Robby at RLD today and he provided a fairly attractive price for AML tie strips, which he has a pretty good supply on the shelf.

@Kevin - Been using that split tube idea for a variety of protection efforts over the years, but masking and safety.

@Kevin K. - Similar to Kevin’s above, but much cheaper. SWMBO brings hands full home from the fast food joints. Can’t beat free.

The Armorall and paint ideas are great for home, but the club is located at an NPO site. The Garden Club who is maintaining (not) the 'garden would pitch a fit over those being sprayed in the garden.

I started going with the Train-Li ties myself. I like the look of the concrete colored ones. They fit right onto my Aristo flex and seem very sturdy. I ordered my second case of them.

The Trainli ties are cement style and are available in black and brown. These Manufactured in the USA.

These do come as straight ties and are packaged 10 to a bundle (shrink wrapped). I use a band saw to cut the straps while packaged to create flex ties, it is quick and easy this way.