Large Scale Central

Replacing Aristo "wide radius" switches?

David Maynard said:

Yea, when my Heartland 0-4-4 did that (climbed the frog) I found that the drivers on that locomotive were under gauge, and the trailing truck was over gauge. Checking and properly setting the gauge on my rolling stock has solved a lot of problems.

Checking should apply to every piece of rolling stock regardless of scale. Even the product from a very well respected HOm manufacturer had “amazing” variations in wheel gauge. For that scale/gauge I machined a number of sets of setting gauges which are very easy to use. Basic additional equipment required: a small bench vise. Correct gauge and no wobble.

PS many clubs won’t let rolling stock onto the layout unless it passes their QC.

Hans, yes, I have found that in HO too. Maybe the HO clubs I belong to should start doing that. But then again, I probably couldn’t run my Tyco train with truck mounted horn hook couplers.

David Maynard said:

Hans, yes, I have found that in HO too. Maybe the HO clubs I belong to should start doing that. But then again, I probably couldn’t run my Tyco train with truck mounted horn hook couplers.

The TYCO train belongs in a display cabinet, labeled relics from the past.

Actually Hans, when I run it at the science center I get a lot of positive comments. The dads “had the same train” when they were younger. They like it, even if the NMRA guys don’t like it so much. It falls under the heading of know your audience.

:wink:

David Maynard said:

Actually Hans, when I run it at the science center I get a lot of positive comments. The dads “had the same train” when they were younger. They like it, even if the NMRA guys don’t like it so much. It falls under the heading of know your audience.

:wink:

Exactly my point, aimed at “Relics”.

It’s not my wheels. I’ve checked the switch with a track gauge and it’s WAY too narrow going through the frog and just past the frog.

Hans, I resemble that remark. And besides, its the “relics” that come back into the hobby and keep it going. The kids are too busy with their Ipad thangs, and the 20 and 30 somethings are too busy starting their careers and families.

that is a tough one Ray, it’s really hard to widen the gauge a lot.

It’s unusual to have this on WR switches, but maybe gluing them did cause an issue, but it could be a particular production run, etc.

I’d say options are limited, I don’t think the Train-Li is necessarily any better, read some of Ted’s reviews on my site.

Regards, Greg