Large Scale Central

Removable ballast, gravel, coal loads, etc

Have you guys got any tips on how to make removable loads for ore, gravel, etc cars.?

I’m thinking a base that fits in the car and then piling on some sand, charcoal, and pouring thin water based glue (Titebond) over it all.

Make sure to wrap the car first with plastic wrap and then your glue won’t hold onto the car. Another thing to think about is how to remove. I’d imbed some steel or magnets to pull it up with a magnet.

1 Like

Craig,
That’s a good tip.
I have been tossing around some ideas, wanted to see what was out there.

The cars that come with a plastic load are an easy fix.
Spread out some fish filter charcoal, fine gravel, kitty litter, etc.
Pull the load off the car.
Paint on some Tite bond and then dip the plastic load into the stuff you want to glue on.
After it has dry, file or sand the excess around the edges and drop it back in the car.

Cutting the basic shape out of blue foam, and then coating the foam with the appropriate load (coal, gravel, etc) seems to be the popular opinion.

the saran wrap is a must. i made these out of some foam board i got from Jon Radder. they are fit such that i can push down on the load and the opposite end pops up for removal.

1 Like

Or white styrofoam from TV (etc.,) packing. This is a strip of foamcore sprayed black in the upper part of an Accucraft hopper

P.S. The dried clay used for baseball diamonds (sold at fram supply stores, etc.,) makes great mineral loads. Available in many colors.

1 Like

Pretty much what I did, worked out well. I also managed to shape the ballast over the trailing car electronics using (2 layers) of plastic wrap to seal them.

If I did this method again I’d use a lot less glue and do it in several layers - took quite a while for the base to dry out, not good for an impatient soul… :wink:

Cheers
N