Large Scale Central

Refurbished Bridge Ready for Install

Well recovery has been slow and steady after my shoulder surgery in January. I still can’t lift anything heavy with my right arm but I did manage to refurbish this old Aristo Craft Truss Bridge that I modified several years ago to get more clearance. The bridge got damaged two years ago when the snow got so heavy that it twisted the bridge 90 degrees and removed most of the hand spiked track and broke several cross braces. I also made two bridge supports for both ends to raise it up for clearance. The rail is code 332 aluminum and it’s all hand spiked using the “Spiker Tool” from SwitchCrafters, even the guard rails. We’ll post more pictures after we get it installed.

The first picture shows the bridge at an angle.

This shows the bridge from the side.

This shows the new supports.

This shows where it is going on the railroad.

Nice work Chuck

Looks real good Chuck. Are you sure it will have clearance for the K27? Might have to try it out one day.

Ron

Looks great , can’t wait to see it in person.

Looks great.

Nice job Chuck, I didnt think one of those Aristo bridges would last out doors.

Did you spray it with some sort of wood sealer before originally installing it ?

Nick

Nice looking bridge… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ron, the clearance is 7" wide and a clear 9" from the top of rail head. Your “K” should be fine. I hope?

Nick, the finish is the original from the factory with some Ebony black stain added over the years to hide the wood. I had to modify the stringers on the bottom and put spacers under the cross members to get the additional clearance I wanted. Other then that the bridge has been outside for years.

More to follow this weekend.

What about my GG1 with panos raised?

John Bouck said:

What about my GG1 with panos raised?

Do you see any wires in that bridge?

Case closed.

:slight_smile:

AND BTW I don’t want to see any Geezer’s panos raised. TMI :slight_smile:

Nice job, Chuck.

Is it done, yet?

YES IT’s DONE!!! The bridge has been installed, the track is connected, and trains are once again running on the railroad. Had some of the Geezer guys over today to help install everything and then we ran trains and dodged the rain drops. My grandkids will be happy to know that Papa Choo Choo can run trains for them again. The temporary support (aka old lattice system) on the one side of the bridge will be replaced with a trestle and bents later, but for right now this will work.

The bridge installed.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/IMG_8460_1_1.JPG)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/IMG_8464_1_1.JPG)

The first train across the refurbished bridge.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/IMG_8462_1_1.JPG)

It looks great. Regards,Ron

Neat…

NICE…

Chester Louis SA #64 Hampshire County Narrow Gauge

Looks good Mr Inlow …however I personally would have recommended more uprights/supports on your ladder roadbed “upper loop” and lower line as well.

This hobby rules!

When you use real wood, you don’t need so many upright supports, especially on a curve.

Actually Steve the issue I had wasn’t support (load) it was flex/twist issues. However with wood he may not have that problem. It took about 3 or 4 years for mine to twist up (now that was a composite ladder) that was laying on the ground.