Large Scale Central

Redwood Sky Walk

We visited the ol’ home town area this weekend for a class reunion and finally had a chance to see and enjoy the Redwood Sky Walk at Sequoia Park Zoo.

This is rated as the best there is anywhere and I have to brag that my Cousin’s Son was/is the Design Architect for the project. He was raised in a family of Loggers and I pick up quite a few carryover themes in the designs like spar tree rigging, fire watch tower timbering and choker cable connections.

Anyway a few pictures.

A brief video showing the scope of what your seeing.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7ReqcbK5g-Q

An interesting thing that happens in a Redwood forest is the growth of new trees from old logs or stumps, Not the old stump sprouting new but a new seed bedded in an old stump and taking hold.
A couple of examples.

A Spruce tree growing on top of an old Redwood stump

A Redwood growing on an old strup.

Just a shot of a tough old timer

If you want more information look here.

3 Likes

We are quite jealous. We have two 100 year old stands of redwoods in Victoria and a sequoia in our local park.

These sad burnt 1:22.5 specimens were grown from 5cm cuttings by Herself. They are so much happier in the ground and grown maybe a meter this year.

Pretty neat, Rick. Thanks for posting.

Excellent shot !!
Gives the depth,feel,scope of the redwoods.

Thanks David, The first tree on the left is a Coastal Spruce just for information.

Just an update with less than a years growth and placement in the ground. The far redwood, we estimate has grown a meter (39inches). From comparing to Rick’s photos, we might be too tightly spaced.