Large Scale Central

Reconfiguring the Lassen Yard

When we first laid out the yard, we were restricted by a set of stairs at the west end of the yard. I never liked this, since there was no yard lead, and all switching moves fouled the main.

So we pulled up the foot crossing, flipped it around, added more steps down below. This allowed the switch to the El Patron branch, and the small Lassen yard to finally have a lead track.

Once I get another switch (next weekend) I will be able to finish this off. We will also be able to access the Highland Springs branch from the yard without having to go out on the main track.

Looks to be a definite improvement.

Ken Brunt said:

Looks to be a definite improvement.

Yep!

That is a improvement but will you worry about foot traffic going over a double track? I have a single track that I cut into a step and even though you can step on it I find myself and visitors stepping over it. 2 tracks might be a mental barrier to some. Will you build up the sides of the rails to limit possible damage? Otherwise looking good.

The existing track has a raised wooden guardrail on both sides and the same will be added for the additional track. The steps lead into the National Forest, so foot traffic is very light. (Mainly to walk the dog!)

John

Nice improvement John.

Good work John.

Picked up the switch I needed, tossed it down in place. Looked around and found some track and threw it down in the dirt to finish the yard lead. I also had to straighten and re-bend the track heading to Highland Springs.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/johnm/_forumfiles/Lassen-Yard-Done.jpg)

I guess at some point i will start swapping out the 16000 switches on the other end for 18000’s.

Looking good. Time for operations.

What engines have problems on the 16000’s John, or are you just going to upgrade to make it smoother and look nicer?

Greg

The Amtrak Arrow doesn’t like 1600’s is one example. (LGB P42 and Amfleet cars)

I’m going to re-align the main in front of Silver Onyx and reorganize the town – this week!

why don’t you move the crossover back a 1ft or so and in-lay the track into the step . just cap the step with concrete and in-lay the rail. wouldn’t mess with foot traffic

why don’t you move the crossover back a 1ft or so and in-lay the track into the step . just cap the step with concrete and in-lay the rail. wouldn’t mess with foot traffic

What’s funny is when my brother and I laid this out, the wooden crossing was very temporary. We looked at a variety of materials, from the expensive crossings made by Split Jaw, to concrete.

We agreed on concrete, never got around to it, and the crazy banded 4x4’s have held strong for now. When the wood finally gives way, I will think of something else.

The reason why the switch is partially on the step was to keep from messing with the curve.