Large Scale Central

Reconfiguring/Repackaging a 2.4GHz transmitter to control 4 locos

While recovering from my open heart surgery I created a small project that I feel will be of help when I get back to running trains.
To run my locos I have to drag out stick transmitters (2 stick) and even though they have been modified to allow Two (2) locos at a time to be controlled if I need to run a third (3rd) loco I now have 2 transmitters to deal with.
I invariably walk off with one transmitter leaving the other behind so then have to walk back and forth to retrieve the one left behind.
With this box I can have 4 locos out on the layout and no matter where I walk off to I have the transmitter for all the locos.

This is my solution;
My blog page (link below) has a description of what I did and some history behind the project

1 Like

Nice. I’ve abandoned my 2-stick except for my live steamer. When I was using with the older RailBoss, the best I could do was 2 locos with the one radio. My new system finally allows me to run all my locos from the same hand control.

Am I missing the point here or what? Do you want to run more than two locos at one time or be able to run more than two locos one at a time as a multiple unit? I ask because I can store 50 locos on my Revolution xmitter and run any one I call up or decide which ones to run as multiple units. I am confused at what end is being sought here.

I have 2 layouts one inside the other, I run usually 3 locos at at a time.
Main layout is double loop while the other one (cane line) is a type of dogbone with a loop at each end with single track between them.

Before this I had to take 2 stick type transmitters out with me to run the 3 locos, only 2 locos per transmitter.
This allows me to control the 3 from one transmitter.
My locos are battery powered using 2.4GHz stick transmitter/receiver config running various motor controllers (primarily robotics type) running short trains so no double/multi heading.
I do not have access to most proprietary controllers due mainly due to the cost of getting them from overseas to Australia.
This is my solution to that.

This is a feature of several of the more pricey systems. Like I was up until 2 years ago, GAP is running inexpensive speed controllers using 2.5GHz 2-stick transmitters. There is no smarts in these devices (well, not in the cheaper ones), so you are limited in what it can do, MU operation is generally not possible unless both locos are fully speed matched.

I have now completed this project and bound 4 locos to the transmitter.
I tested all four at once and it quickly became a handful trying to watch and control four individual locos at a time.
Running three at a time is manageable with one parked on a siding.