Large Scale Central

Rebuild the rr looking for ideas

John Le Forestier said:
Richard, that was a good post. How come no attachment to the fence, IYHO?
[b]John, Fences don't make for very secure anchorage for a RR. If repairs need to be made to a wobbly fence the RR will be seriously impacted. Also since the fence must be shared with the neighbors you have no guarantee about how they will treat or modify it from their side.

When I had a tract house my neighbor rented out his house for a time. The tenant hung chains on an already shaky fence and when a heavy windstorm hit the moving chains tore about 2 dozen boards off of it and almost knocked it down.

If I was to build along a fence line I not only would keep the RR separate I would provide at least a 2 foot (3 feet if possible) walk behind for fence maintenance. This would also allow access to the backside of the RR benchwork allowing for a greater width for scenery depth if practicable.[/b]

Richard Smith said:
Also since the fence must be shared with the neighbors you have no guarantee about how they will treat or modify it from their side.
In every jurisdiction that I have owned property and a house, my fence is MY fence, not the neighbors. A fence put up inside my property line is not shared with the neighbor and he has no legal right to even touch the fence.

However, I do agree that bench work should not be attached to a fence for stability reasons.

Thanks for replies, guys…

Joe Zullo said:
Richard Smith said:
Also since the fence must be shared with the neighbors you have no guarantee about how they will treat or modify it from their side.
In every jurisdiction that I have owned property and a house, my fence is MY fence, not the neighbors. A fence put up inside my property line is not shared with the neighbor and he has no legal right to even touch the fence.

However, I do agree that bench work should not be attached to a fence for stability reasons.

Has nothing to do with “legalise” although the tract in question did indeed share ownership as the fences were put in place by the developer on the property lines and repairs were shared. Unless you each have your own fence(s) between you you’ll be sharing the fence no matter whose property its on.

look here at this layout I help build… all rased but one area…
http://s615.beta.photobucket.com/user/danielpeck/library/#/user/danielpeck/library/?&_suid=1359315979737008153995457069668

I wish I could afford all that steel, looking at treated lumber and trex.

Tom h