Large Scale Central

RC&G standard gauge switcher #3 in 1/24 scale

This has been a back burner project for over a decade and it has finally beed finished. Patterned after the Ma and Pa # 29. I don’t remember the exact start date but much of the early machining was done prior to my retirement which started in 2014. The locomotive has a brass frame made from 1/4" bar stock, is powered by a Pittman motor and Aristo ball bearing modular gear boxes. The boiler is made from PVC pipe connectors which were glued together then turned on a lathe to the desired diameter. No standard pipe sizes were close. The drivers are from the Bachmann “Annie” and the blind center driver had a tire made for it to match the diameter on the flanged drivers, The center driver is sprung. While I made no effort to duplicate the Stephenson valve gear there are eccentrics on the center driver that actuate the valve gear. For more info and photos of the mechanisms follow this link
http://www.raccooncrkrwy.com/rc-g-29.html

Comparison with the 1/24 C-16

Comparison with the “Annie”

Thanks for looking !

3 Likes

Very nice. I don’t get over to chat much so I hadn’t seen your name in a long while. Then tonight Cliff posted a bar pic from York and Pete asked for ID. It was you and Don Watson in the pic with me and Hollywood.

Thanks for posting the glamor shots Gary. Watching this come together over the years has been a great pleasure. I’ll look forward to this and the standard gauge cars in action on your pike. :sunglasses: