Large Scale Central

Raised benchwork question

Those of you who have raised benchwork how do you secure your track to it? Should I secure track to it at all?

I do, here and there, as it seems necessary, but not on a regular basis.

I used those ribbed paneling nails to secure the track to the ladder road bed, The ladder is screwed down to the bench work.

Mine floats on wide planks.

S. Az. from freezing to 114 degrees F. My track expands and shrinks. I’ve seen it move. Nails could cause kinks…

I vote NO, your mileage may vary.

John

This topic has been flogged many times, so my first suggestion is to do some searches and see all the discussion before.

The physics of expansion and contraction cannot be denied, but many people have had what SEEMS to be different results.

The real bottom line is the more you secure your track to something (wood, ladder track, concrete, etc.) the more your track will be forced to try to expand and contract at the same rate as the base.

This can work for some people, but my experience is it fails more often than succeeds.

Having floating track pretty much always works.

10 Years with floating track and no problems with kinks, but I live in a milder climate.

Greg

Thanks fellas

This is a good conversation. A small portion of my plan will include bench work. I would have automatically thought to fix it down. So this was a good heads up.