Large Scale Central

Raise track or ditches?

Today I began preparing my track for October’s open house.
When I laid the track it was higher than the surrounding but our desert winds have made the track nearly level with the surrounding surface.
Would you raise the track higher when you reballast or dig trenches beside the track and relevel and reballast? Any special reason?

I say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If and when you do fix it, do what needs to be done and consider the future in your actions.

Todd Brody said:

If and when you do fix it, do what needs to be done and consider the future in your actions.

Now, isn’t that what he’s trying to do?

I have some track above grade and some at grade. It seams I loose less ballast with the track that is at grade. The reason the full sized railroads like to be above grade is for drainage, it helps keep their wooden ties out of standing water. Since my ties are plastic, that isn’t a major concern for me.

Just my 2 cents.

I would raise the track.
Ditches tend to fill in :wink:
Ralph

Tom Ruby said:

Todd Brody said:

If and when you do fix it, do what needs to be done and consider the future in your actions.

Now, isn’t that what he’s trying to do?

If the trains run through and don’t derail just because the soil settled a bit, it is not broken and doesn’t need to be fixed. Actually as the track settles in to the surrounding soil over time, it gives a more natural look.

Branch lines settle, mainlines are maintained.

John

I prefer raised track, as it tends to shed leaves easier. Of course that doesn’t sound like your problem. The raised track does tend to loose some ballast to natural erosion and gravity. In those areas i have built retaining walls along the track to minimize erosion.

Doug, sounds like the track is going to raise a tad.

You don’t want your track on a pile of chicken grit ballast. The ballast goes away when it rains.

I think raising the track is the winner!
I’ve got some pea gravel, which is what the track was laid on originally, so the track should be happy for another 10 year!

Doug??? the true answer to your question is ““Yes””… :slight_smile:

Pea gravel will wash out again, you need broken or crushed rock with jagged corners. This type of rock will compact and lock in, while pea gravel will throw a knapsack over it’s shoulder and hit the highway as soon as your attention is diverted…

I believe Doug is in the desert, and not much rain guys!

Doug, did your track sink, or did the winds pile up dirt/sand around the track?

That was not clear to me from your post.

Greg

Doug, i need to find you a borrow pit for some local DG.

Greg’s right. I think we’ve had about 3 inches this year.
I raised about 25 feet of track yesterday. It’s not ballasted but it’s about half an inch higher.
It’s good for about 10 more years!

dang it’s 90 degrees and i managed to have the weekend off and need to finish laying track in the yard…

doug i do have the 1600’s… they are in used condition.

And I’ll be using those 1600s a lot more. I put my pennies aside!
I passed the halfway mark raising my track yesterday. I would have a lot more done but I had to build a sun cover where we had two trees taken out.
I discovered yesterday I also have to raise a couple buildings up.

I got one of those portable “shade” structures, about 10 x 10, and during the summer when I work outside on the BBQ, make a nice shady spot to work on trains outside without melting.

They are pretty light and easy to move, and not too expensive, so you might consider one to help the track crew! :wink:

Greg

My wife bought one of those portable 10X10 shades for me in early summer this year. I have been doing a lot of work on my 1 1/2" scale rolling stock and engines and I just roll the stuff under the shade. I have been able to work during the day even in this latest 100 degree plus heat wave here. Very nice conditions to work in.