Large Scale Central

Railtruck for the Durango & Jasper

Your future son in law is Dennis Rayon? Now I know you are a cheater. That would be the same thing as Ray Dunakin being my boyfriend

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

I admire Dennis’ work for his cliff hangers as much as Ray’s interiors. Both are awesome modelers.

Dennis and Ray are simply awesome, each in their own unique style.

I agree Jim. We have a lot of stand out talent in our group. I am humbled to be able to learn from them.

Got some train time today and made a bit of progress on the railtruck. Some invisible stuff, like finalizing the wiring for the motor hookup and tucking the switch/power plug back a bit to get ready to frame over it. The main area was getting the headlights and a taillight going. I’m using a couple of warm white lights for headlights and a red one for the tail light that I bought from Evan Designs [link]. I am using their “nano” size. “Pico” seems to be too small.

Here’s what they look like so far (still need to paint and attach):

Initially I wanted to hook these up to DCC controls so I could turn them on and off but I was unable to get that to work with my Airwire setup so I just have them tap directly into the battery (after the power switch) so they are always on.

I hope to make more progress this week. A week off to do trains! Fun!

Jim

Not sure about the son in law situation, I will leave it as it is, but thanks for the compliments. Your truck is really looking great. On your 3D printed parts, Take a super glue

spread over the part with a thin piece of plastic then spray with the glue accelerator. Then lightly sand, may have to do it a couple of times in places. This will make painting

much smoother and your finished part looking really great.

Thank You for sharing with us your great modeling skills and your projects. It is fun to watch your builds, you do a great job of sharing your projects.

Dennis

Dennis:

Not quite sure how the son-in-law leap happened but, yeah, let’s leave that alone.

That super glue tip is gold. Thanks!

Just bought a new 3D printer (a Prusa i3 MK3S+, whatever that means) and so far it seems to be making much better parts than our previous printer. Still with the future son-in-law in Florida, but at least I have access to one now pretty easily. Gonna reprint some of the parts you gave me designs for and see how it works.

Cheers!

Jim, you made a great purchase with the Prusa. Yea, its more expensive than most, but it will serve you well. I started with a Prusa MK2 and have upgraded it over the years so it is essentially an MK3s now. I have upgraded the frame to aluminum V-Slot to make it more rigid. Enjoy your 3D printing adventures.

In a previous post you said Dennis Rayon, future son-in-law. . . But I can see now that you are discussing two different people. Rooster made the leap also, lol.

Yeah, Devon and Rooster. I should have been more clear. For the record: Dennis Rayon is not my future or current son-in-law. But he did provide me with several nice 3D models.

Painting and weathering the cab for the railtruck. Took advice from Gary Buchanan to add blue to black for the color and am trying a Dennis Rayon technique for rusting: paint on rust, then paint real color on top and use a paintbrush dipped in thinner to expose rust color by wiping away top color. Not sure I did it right. Added some more dry-brushed rust, grime, and dust on top of all that.

Made a bit more progress on the lights. Hope to get them installed and wired up today.

I have to say, this is the fun part!

I think that rust looks great. Filed that one away. It has a more rusted over paint feel as opposed to the salt method which looks more like paint peeled away and exposed metal that then rusted. A subtle difference but having both techniques in your bag of tricks is good. I will use this

Rust, what rust? You sure it isn’t just a shoddy paint job by someone who stayed to long at the still (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)Well done, Jim. The rust looks realistic and not over done. The blue in the black created a nice looking color. I’ll be trying that.

Jim;

It is coming along nicely. Interesting thing about the Model AC “Bulldog” is that the radiator was BEHIND the engine. A squirrel cage blower attached to the flywheel kept air flowing through the radiator. Normally I would not know this, but as a young technical writer at Mack Trucks, Inc., I spent many hours at the copy machine duplicating old Mack AC manuals for folks restoring AC model trucks. I still have a copy of the Mack 1929 Railcar and Locomotive catalog. Well, my boss said to me, “I know you’re going to make one for yourself, so now you don’t have to be sneaky about it!”

Best wishes, David Meashey

That is really turning out great Jim!!

David: cool detail and story about how you know it. Nifty!

Jim Rowson said:

Dennis:

Not quite sure how the son-in-law leap happened but, yeah, let’s leave that alone.

That super glue tip is gold. Thanks!

Just bought a new 3D printer (a Prusa i3 MK3S+, whatever that means) and so far it seems to be making much better parts than our previous printer. Still with the future son-in-law in Florida, but at least I have access to one now pretty easily. Gonna reprint some of the parts you gave me designs for and see how it works.

Cheers!

Jim just reprinting may provide you the desired quality. The Prussa is a great printer. Hint on parts that you want higher detail, and you are in no hurry, a normal print layer is 2mm per layer, 1mm = a fine setting, setting it on .06 mm layer will provide close to SLA quality. Remember 1mm takes twice the time to print that 2mm and .06 mm is real slow, I also slow my speed down too. Small parts like pipe fittings does a real slick job.

Dennis