Large Scale Central

RailPro: What are your Likes and Dislikes?

From the best laid plans dept - here is what I ended up with for a video. The hand-held point-and-shoot I use for video did not like the cold, kept shutting down with ‘low battery’ but as soon as it warmed up again said the battery was full :frowning: Then, when I had the shoot done and was moving files to the computer I accidentally deleted files from the camera before the copy was complete :frowning: :frowning: I also was reminded why winter operations can be challenging. Misplaced rocks, ice in flange ways etc. all contributed to several derailments. In the end, I did get enough to put together a short video that features both a morning Plow Extra and the 5 locomotive MU consist.

So, without further ado, Low Def Films presents Railfanning the Candlewood Valley Scenic Railway

Yeah, if I’m going to brave the cold it will be sipping bourbon over ICE, sitting beside the fire.

NICE video! That must be one HEAVY boxcar…

1 Like

Another great video, Jon. Thanks for battling the weather to get it put together. Its amazing to see 5 engines MUed together with no obvious issues. I think I will hangout with Bruce. I like his idea of hanging out in the cold :grin:

1 Like

I would have added a long string of cars, but this train just fit in the shortest wye tail. With all the trouble I had with the plows I decided there would be no switching at the top of the hill.

And about the cold…

My original thought was to dedicate what will probably be my last plowing video to Ken’s memory. He was always quick to point out that winter is best enjoyed from the inside of a nice window by the fire. I’ve subscribed to that belief for the last few years. Dang RailPro got me back out in the snow. If I had got enough for a plow only video I would have done the dedication page.

2 Likes

I need to update this with what I have learned.

When the battery indicator goes red, you have about a half hour of charge left. It will flash read for a minute or two before it shuts down for lack of power.

Internal batteries are standard AA NiMh batteries. Opening the case is not a job for the timid, and closing it is a challenge. There are a few tricks that help, like masking tape on the power button. Ring claims opening the case voids the warranty. As far as I could see, there was no warranty seal to break.

I am planning to buy a HC-3-sun but I never understood why there was two models? Why not just have one with adjustable screen brightness? Am I missing something?
Darrell

I would hold off till the end of feb. new one coming

Can’t answer that other than the battery life on the Sun model is quite a bit less. I think it uses a different LCD.

HC-3 is the new one. Dealers are taking pre-orders now I think.

What are the advantages of the HC-3 over the existing handhelds? Better steam sound I hope :smiley:

The new HC3 is slightly smaller, has a smaller throttle knob, a lanyard hook and what I like best: 4 actual buttons that are user programmable. * Here is a comparison shot from the RPUG website…

Sounds are not a function of the HC. They are loaded on the HC for download to the Locomotive Modules where they play. The issue(s) with steam sounds are software related and could be fixed with current hardware if there was desire to do so.

EDIT to add: * The new buttons have limited selection for now: Horn, Direction, All Stop and Home. This seems too limited to me.