Large Scale Central

RailPro Caboose Project

John Lenheiser said:

I haven’t seen flickering (flashing) marker lamps like that since the kerosene went bad and the flame flickered up and down.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)Well, I never said the effects were prototypical! Although I run vintage equipment, my railroad operates in the present, thus the marker lights have been converted to electricity. Railroad management wanted the option to flash them in various patterns to increase visibility.

I have since decided that I have no need to individually control the markers, so that will free up one button for an additional sound effect. I’m also thinking of experimenting with the firebox flicker effect for the interior lamps.

New video. I wasn’t happy with the Dim effect for the table lamps because it would not shut off properly. I thought I would give the Dual Output Firebox effect a try. I kind of like it. What do you think? The video starts with a sound effect, followed by turning one lamp on, followed by the flicker effect on, then off, then the single lamp goes off.

CVSRy / RailPro Flickering Oil Lanterns from Jon Radder on Vimeo.

EDIT to add: I ended up completely re-writing the program as an attempt to edit ran into a glitch. No big deal, but I did figure out how to use just a single button to turn the markers on or off together.

Seems to be the Hot Lick (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I think ya got a rooster stuck inside that thing.

Today the battery and speaker arrived, so it was time to button things up. There is next to no room left under the bench…

Craming all those wires in was a real challenge. It’s not quite perfectly placed, but the screws are in…

And the cushions fit…

Next was the easy part. A small HO scale speaker was modified a bit to fit between the pillars (mounting ears cut off) then attached to the floor with double faced tape…

No problem at all fitting this bench back…

And sliding the cushion on…

Where is Kate Smith when you need her? I think this one is DONE!

Quality install Jon (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Jon, great job on the Caboose, and your railroad is incredible. After watching a couple of your video’s I am wondering just how big this CVS Railway is?

Thanks for sharing the video’s.

Aflyer

Thanks! It’s really not very big. Point-to-point, part indoors - A U-Shape around 3 sides of my basement with a balloon track for turning around. Outdoors I go around half my house into the front yard where there is a wye for turning. Maybe 150 feet of track. I concentrate on photo op scenes and operating. About 12 industries to switch on the entire layout.

Soon after this project was complete, my attention turned elsewhere and this caboose has been on the storage shelf. The initial post of this thread indicated I was modifying Caboose #10, however I switched to the undercoated one in case I really messed up! Caboose #10 has been doing nearly all the caboose duty since.

Today I decided to change that and bring this one back into active service. I need to have vinyl made up for the logo and number, but today a permanent crew member was assigned. The only staff member left that was not permanently assigned was Sven. Sven has not seen road duty since before M-11 changed colors…

He was ready and willing, but has a problem with his right wrist not rotating, so the railroad made him a brake club…

You can click the above picture for two larger versions.

I’ll see if I can convince the Production Mgr. at work to cut me some logos and numbers this week to put the finishing touches on this project.

1 Like