Large Scale Central

RailPro and lights

Here are a couple of pictures of my latest locomotive installation. Got this loco about 2-3 months ago and ordered the parts to do this. This was my while rehabbing from surgery project.
The installation went well and I am getting better at running the wires and soldering things. Added truck lights , step lights and my homemade ditch lights. Turned it on and nothing, the controller wouldn’t “see”?the module. Called a friend that does these a lot and after doing everything we could think of , I called and got the ok and sent it back. 3 weeks later an email said they are sending a new module as they cannot find mine!. Oh well, plugged it all in and it sounds good and looks good , I used cool white LED’s most from RLD Hobbies and some from Evan Designs. Couplers are KaDee 907’s with CamPac Boxes to give more strength to the coupler mount and the correct height. Can’t wait to put it on the track and add it to the fleet

1 Like

Pete,

Looks fantastic!

I have an LGB carriage that light bleeds through the plastic frame. Did you have light bleeding issues and if so, how did you solve the problem?

there is a little on the old classification lights, but its not unpleasand

There isn’t many places where it could bleed out.my homemade ditch light have a little from the seams but I just add some more paint to them

Nice work Pete. That will look great running around your layout at night.

Shane

Looking good Pete. Nice work. :sunglasses:

Look great, I to do use Rail Pro and really like all their features and how well it works. All my installs with LED’s I use the 12v 3m and 5m LED’s with resistors, plus I also add 100 oho resistors where I want the lights to be dimmer as many ate too bright and look toy like, I call it the Lionel Look. Just buy a pack of mixed ohm resistors and put one inline with the LED wires, it make more or more ohm resistance number to get the desired light output to look more the protype look. Actually the lights on diesel locomotives are pretty low light with the exception of the headlights and ditch lights. Keep up the good work, your locomotives now have added life.

The shiny desk makes them brighter than normal compared to out on the layout

Don’t matter either way Pete. Your RR… YOUR,YOU’RE,UR rules! I think it looks great!

My comments on LED light brightness are those of my own and how I would do it, I never said anyone should do it different, I only suggested a way to control light brightness for those who are interested.