Large Scale Central

RailOps

There was some mention, on the RailOps list, of a contact with the owner of the software. The owner had not been heard from for several years, but in this contact, it was learned that he is planning on an update in the new year.

Hmm…all of that just seems rather vague.

In case, anyone is interested… We continue to operate two RailOp programs here on the IPP&W…both successfully.

We operate every Saturday…OUT OF DOORS…weather permitting, with an average, every week of 18 operators.

The programs are still working very well for us.

… Which begs the question, is an update really needed anyway? If it ain’t broke…

John, isn’t that what updates are for? Fix some obscure problem only a few people had, and introduce a new problem most everyone has to deal with, or disable a favorite feature.

David Maynard said:

John, isn’t that what updates are for? Fix some obscure problem only a few people had, and introduce a new problem most everyone has to deal with, or disable a favorite feature.

Having just upgraded to the latest and greatest of my video editing program I like to state “truer words are yet to come”.

Hans, and that is why I stick with what I like until it can no longer get the job done. My winders 98se laptop was so outdated when it finally died. I probably would still be using it for some things if it hadn’t died.

John Le Forestier said:

… Which begs the question, is an update really needed anyway? If it ain’t broke…

John, exactly. Everybody wanted so many changes to do everything for them, that I think the owner finally said, “Imagine how you want it and then imagine it operating that way” And somewhere along the line I think he thought, “Imagine that I’m caring”. I actually feel he became so hassled, he resolved the problem for himself and started doing things that were more fun and made money for his family. To be fair, he wasn’t the original owner/designer. The original owner and designer did that totally unfair thing of getting old and on top of that eventually died. Can you imgine? The nerve.

…and we are still using RailOps here on the IPP&W, every Saturday during the Summer season. There are at least 4 other indoor HO pikes in Ottawa using RailOps. There is a RailOps email List, where anyone with a problem can post. As was said; if it isn’t “Broke”, don’t fix it.

Fred Mills

It has been over two years since “RailOps” was mentioned on these pages.

To bring everyone up-to-date;

…we are still successfully using the program on the IPP&W, without problems; operating EVERY Saturday, weather permitting.

Fred Mills