Large Scale Central

Rail Sizes and Lengths for Narrow Gauge

On narrow gauge railroads like the Rio Grande Southern, both rail size and rail length increased over time. Rail size grew as locomotives and cars got heavier. Rail length was generally determined by the length of available flat cars for transporting the rail. Before about 1900, most of the early, lighter rails were 35 lb/yd. During the 1900s - 1920s, much of the line was upgraded to heavier 65 lb/yd rail. Modern 80 lb/yd rail did not appear until the 1930s and, as far as I can tell, was never used on the RGS, although it may have been used on other narrow gauge lines. On some standard gauge line, the maximum rail size was up to 155lb/yd.

Rail sizes in 1:20.3 scale

Narrow gauge modelers like myself are pretty much limited to using Code 250 and below for representing prototypical track sizes. Here are the approximate equivalents:

Code 148 = 35lb/yd

Code 215 = 65lb/yd

Code 250 = 80lb/yd

Code 332 = not prototypical

Rail sizes vs. Rail lengths

Rails in the 25 to 60 lb/yard range were usually 30’ long; 60 to 90 lb/yard were usually 33’ long; and 90 to 115 lbs/yard were usually 39’ long.

Used Rail Lengths

When lighter rail sections were replaced, the old rail was often re-used on branch lines and sidings or as guard rails on bridges. Often, 6” would be cut from the rail ends to remove damage. Therefore, re-used 35lb/yd rails are generally 29 feet long and re-used 65lb/yd rails are generally 32 feet long.

Track is a Model, Too

Since I use Code 215 rail for running rail, I scribe the rail head every 19 ½” to represent 33-foot long sections of 65 lb/yd rail. I use Code 148 for guard rails and cut them to 17 1/8” to represent 29-foot long sections of used 35 lb/yd rail. These little extra touches do not require much additional work, but they add another degree of realism to the layout. As modelers, we all deal with a lot of compromises. Realistic looking track shouldn’t be one of them.

Rail makes a nice load.

These are 11 yard lenghts - drilled.

I also notched my rails about every 39 scale feet. I should have gone for a shorter distance, but at the time I didn’t know no better.

As for reusing rails as guard rails, when the light rail line was relaid through Overbrook, a few sections of guard rail were donated to the Arden trolly museum. They were stamped P&CS 1871

Thanks Bob. I agree that track is a model. Unfortunately I bought a lot of Code 332 rail before I knew any better. I do run 1:29 standard gauge on the same track as my 1:20 narrow gauge stuff. So in my case I guess my narrow gauge trains are running on about 130# rail and my standard gauge trains are on super rail!

Bob,

Hard to find today, but there are places you can get is code 172. I think the last place I got some was from an “s” scale track mfg. I have been looking for stashes of old brass used without success so far.

Al P.

I agree that model railroad rail is oversized. In HO scale, they have pretty much moved from code 100 to code 83, and it does look better in close up photographs. I went with code 332 stainless outside, for its strength, and because I had enough of cleaning brass track, back when I had an HO Tyco layout. Since I am not a rivet counter, the rail height doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers some. And I feel, just my opinion of course, that if the rails are properly weathered, the oversize of them isn’t quite as obvious.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/david_maynard/general/2006_0509Image0016c.jpg)

Excellent info Bob. Its good to have this info out there so that the inquiring modelers has the answers.

I use Code 250 BTW on my 1:20.3 scale layout. I was thinking of getting Code 215 for the bridge guard rails.

Geoff,

If I guestimate the number of lengths of rail on that flat correctly, you are overweight by about twice. I see 22,400 on the car side. I looks to be about 43 lengths of rail at 11 yards each at say 90 lbs per yard is 42,570. Rail is heavy!!

Looks good tho. :slight_smile:

Bob C.

Only having seen the 32mm. n/s track and its stock, which did not appeal at all to me, I looked at Bachmann Big Hauler stock. The main track, readily available here, seemed to be Aristo brass (both Euro and USA styles). So that’s where I went.

I later kitbashed or sold around 50% of my Bachmann stock as I had discovered the Aristo range which was reasonably priced, readily available and appealed to my eyes and pocket.

I do not regret the Code 332 brass choice principally because it being higher above the ties than lower code rail much small debris - not always seen by older eyes - is far less likely to cause the derailment of a train. I also like the Aristo screws which seemed to enable good electrical continuity without a lot of wire soldering, paste and other remedies which some need to ensure continuity. Running by battery power now of course means continuity is not a factor.

Only having seen the 32mm. n/s track and its stock, which did not appeal at all to me, I looked at Bachmann Big Hauler stock. The main track, readily available here, seemed to be Aristo brass (both Euro and USA styles). So that’s where I went.

I later kitbashed or sold around 50% of my Bachmann stock as I had discovered the Aristo range which was reasonably priced, readily available and appealed to my eyes and pocket.

I do not regret the Code 332 brass choice principally because it being higher above the ties than lower code rail much small debris - not always seen by older eyes - is far less likely to cause the derailment of a train. I also like the Aristo screws which seemed to enable good electrical continuity without a lot of wire soldering, paste and other remedies which some need to ensure continuity. Running by battery power now of course means continuity is not a factor.