Large Scale Central

Rail Clamps

Bruce Chandler said:

Ted Tuck said:

I’d also like to hear more from those who are able to fasten their track down solidly without encountering problems from expansion/contraction. Much as I would like to, I don’t see any way to accomplish that in the Maryland temperature ranges.

Ted,

I fasten my track to the roadbed. I put screws in about every 18 inches or so. The key is that it is all AMS flex track. I would not try this with the Aristo track that has the ties screwed to the rail.

My first railroad “floated” the track in ballast. That was pretty much a dismal failure as it was constantly shifting due to things like animals and hoses going across the track.

I’m in Northern Virginia; I suspect that if I were to run today I would not encounter any derailment problems; but, it’s too cold for me to go outside to find out, so I’m off the hook. :wink:

That’s pretty much what I do, too and I’m in SE PA.

(http://rgsgardenrailroad.com/layout005a.jpg)

John Le Forestier said:

Good thread.

Do any of you railclamp users solder any of your rails together? I’ve been using mostly the joiners that came with my LGB and Aristo Track. Seven years and no problems, so I’ve never really understood what the big deal is with these clamps.

I use clamps at all the turnouts - just in case!

I usually insert a railclamp on both ends of three pieces of Llagas flex, the other joints have rail joiners that get soldered.

BTW I also wear suspenders in addition to a belt. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: And most of my track is Nickel Silver C215

“BTW I also wear suspenders in addition to a belt.”

Safety first HJ.

PS.

Still waiting for the Lytton videon as well

Yuuuup! At a friend’s rebuild of his layout, he’d acquired a bunch of one foot sections of code 332 brass track. I soldered three or four of these together and used Hillman clamps between these longer sections.

I used a resistance solderer for the first time. I cleaned the ends of the track and the original slip joiners, fluxed everything, then slid the tracks together and soldered everything together, including solder in the slip joiner on the rails.

When these sections were completed, I could then use a Train-Li bender to make these sections conform to what we needed, not what the manufacturer commanded us!

Oh and a late Sunday fix when the hobby shop is closed. If all you have is “over the joiner” clamps but no joiners and no standard clamps, a short (one inch or so) piece of 14 gauge wire in the OTJ clamp will snug down nicely and do the job.

Randy McDonald said:

“BTW I also wear suspenders in addition to a belt.”

Safety first HJ.

PS.

Still waiting for the Lytton videon as well

It’s a coming.

Today was a skiing day. Great fun to take the Seppala out for a run. It was also learning time i.e. don’t follow another skier with a dog because both pooches will be distracted and in no time you bite the snow when one or the other decides that having a closer look is essential. Even more fun when it’s around a 120º turn on a downhill.

:wink:

Jeff Walls said:

Do these fit under the rails and then the screw heads secure the foot on each side?

Yes

(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/smcgill_pics/railclamps022.jpg)

Dan Padova said:

“I’d also like to hear more from those who are able to fasten their track down solidly without encountering problems from expansion/contraction. Much as I would like to, I don’t see any way to accomplish that in the Maryland temperature ranges.”

I’m in PA I have Aristo Brass track (with the screws removed underneath that fastens the rail to the ties) all the joints have slip on railjoiners and are hard soldered in mostly 20’ to 40 ’ sections I used split jaws on my bridges and for joining the hard soldered sections in some areas. My roadbed varies and I do screw the ties down to it in some areas. It has been in place since 2007 and expands and contracts on the curves

I don’t buy Split Jaws unless my dealer is out of Hillmans’. Because of my poor eyesight and the ;ack of dexterity on my left arm it takes me a half hour to install each Split Jaw where I can install the Hillman clamps in a couple minutes.

When my track contracted in the wunter weather I do have one track separation. It’s two Split Jaws!

On the far end of the layout I enjoy watching the track float in the summer. It hasn’t separated in five years.

Sorry for your difficulties, Doug. I know a little about having 'em myself. If the two of us got together we might add up to one man!

Jus’ keep on laughin’, buddy!

A split jaw: what you could end up with if you picked a fight in a bar.