Large Scale Central

Rail clamps

I;m putting rail clamps on the entire layout. I’ve been using Hillman’s but am trying AMLs. Has anyone else had a problem with them?
If I shift the track the AMLs have a tendancy to let the track slip I don’t call that a clamp.
I’m concerned with the maintenance I’ll have with track expansion and contraction. Otherwise I like the AML clamps.

Doug.
the AML clamps are the ones I have used and have not had a problem with them at all. I think they hold great.

Geoff

What I suspect is the clamps were mislabeled and are for over-the-joiner or they are just slightly big. I may use a dot of solder on them to tighten them up. I may just use them for attaching wire for the tracks.
I got Hillman’s for connecting the wires and because of the distances on the layout I need #10 wire. It is too large for the fittings but I think the clamps will work nicely.!

Hi,
I have just finished laying my final piece of track for my primary layout. There is 1900’ of track, and every joint is a Hillman Rail Clamp. I have been letting the weather move the track around, and I just started ballasting today. The track will be free floating in that there are no screws, anywhere, and I am hoping the Crusher Fines hold everything together. At the present time I have one power source, A Thomas the Train power pack, with one set of 18 gauge wires, powering the entire layout. I am able to test run the layout with an old Kalamazoo Donkey loco, but the pack doesn’t have the power to run 2 (or more) motor engines. Believe it or not, I do not see any power loss when running the Donkey. The way my layout is set up, all of my feeder wires will be installed in one general area (behind the shed) so that there will be no more than 125’ between feeders. I will try to post a few pictures. Needless to say, any thoughts or ideas are always appreciated.
http://www.lscdata.com/dirlist.php?id=noela&dir=/www/lscdata.com/users/noela/_forumfiles
Let me try the doubling thing.

Very nice Noel!
:wink:

Noel, It’s hard to really appreciate your work from such a small thumbnail. If you double click on the thumbnail, it will go to full size. Then you can copy IMAGE location and paste it here so that we can truly appreciate your work.

Here’s the bigger version. Thank you for your direction.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/noela/_forumfiles/MVC-583S.JPG)

Much better. What is under the black cloth?

Steve Featherkile said:
Jimmy Hoffa?
David Russell said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Jimmy Hoffa?
in that case there should be some concrete directly beneath the cloth, am i right?
Korm Kormsen said:
David Russell said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Jimmy Hoffa?
in that case there should be some concrete directly beneath the cloth, am i right?
Underneath the black landscaping cloth there is 5/4's X 6 planking, running perpendicular to the rail. I hope to get my blog up and running soon, and I will try to explain all of that, and more.

Who is going to pay for my coffee drenched keyboard? :lol:

Steve Featherkile said:
Who is going to pay for my coffee drenched keyboard? :lol:
Send all claims to:

AFL-CIO
815 16th St., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20006

Noel Arnold said:

nice. do you need GPS to find your way around it? thats one big lay out

Geoff George said:

Noel Arnold said:

nice. do you need GPS to find your way around it? thats one big lay out

It’s bigger than I originally wanted, but I didn’t want to take down live trees, and I wanted the 20’ diameter main line. If you’re in the neighborhood and you run track power or battery, c’mon in for an operating session. I’m guessing that at least 7 people could operate without conflict (as long as there are only 3 track powered operators. I should have mentioned, if you’re running live steam, the layout should support the weight, we tested the strength of the structure by walking the full length of it (myself, 3 grandchildren and my Golden).

Noel Arnold said:
If you're in the neighborhood and you run track power or battery, c'mon in for an operating session.
What neighborhood would that be? Nice looking railroad. Ralph
Ralph Berg said:
Noel Arnold said:
If you're in the neighborhood and you run track power or battery, c'mon in for an operating session.
What neighborhood would that be? Nice looking railroad. Ralph
Orange County, NY Laying ballast now, hope to have "Golden Spike" driven by July 1st. (ground should be dry so that full walk around is possible).

What do you mean by “Operation”…?

This is not a question meant to be picky…I’m just curious…

Fred Mills said:
What do you mean by "Operation"...?

This is not a question meant to be picky…I’m just curious…

Separate train functions (ie: Fast passenger, local, Hi-ball freight, local freight, etc.) It takes approximately 9-10 minutes to cover one of the mainline loops (there are two) at a scale 45 mph. The yard can handle over 100 cars,w/2 makeup/breakup tracks serving east-west. That’s how I came up with the estimate. Those with R/C would need to have transmitter that can cover 125’, or walk around with their stuff. Track power is Aristo-Craft hand held and they work the entire range of the layout.
Hope this helps, and thank you for asking.

Noel Arnold said:
Laying ballast now, hope to have "Golden Spike" driven by July 1st.
I'm gonna hold you to that date! ;) Can I talk you out of those railclamps and suggest hard soldered track for say 15 too 20' runs then clamp? Looks like my kinda RR :)