Large Scale Central

Rail benders and bending theory

So an update. I received the above bender from Greg. It will work on 215 aluminum rail. Actually works great. Took piece down to an 18" diameter just to see. What it doesn’t allow is for the foot of the rail to lay flat on the surface of the bender. It is held by the web of the rail. Not sure if this is the way it supposed to work but it does work. As mentioned the aluminum is soft and bends very easy. Even with the foot not being flat to the bender it makes no difference as the rail bends flat and the foot rests on the table with no twist. Do all in all it works great. One could maybe grind down the spacrers on the wheels to lower the groves until the rail touches the bender but why?

It also surprised me how little of an adjustment it takes to make a very tight curve. This will easily take a rail down small enough to build my 16inch diameter turn table.

So I am a happy camper. Friday I am ordering 90 feet or so of rail. Which will allow for 45 feet of track. That should keep me busy making turnouts and what not.

Thanks Greg

So, we can assume that after your track arrives we will see some progress on the indoor layout soon there after?? Oh, I forgot, you have several other projects to complete first. But you should be able to get those done before the track arrives. Remember, there are at least 24 hours in a day.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

You will see progress in the form of some turnouts. That’s all I am promising and I am not giving a time frame. Been down that road and still not done with my loco.

at least som blurry pictures so you can say its progress. BTW how much did the red box go for?

You are welcome Devon, and yes, I believe the design was to press against the web only, which should allow it to work with many different heights of rail. If the base of the rail touched the bender on 215, then 332 could not work.

Greg

Still up for grabs. Two watches now.

Makes sense Greg. I have no intention of grinding it down. Works great and like you said this will allow it to do all sizes.

i’m very glad it worked out for you… nice when things go right.

Greg