Large Scale Central

Radius for the USA GP-7/9

Am in process of obtaining this eng and not sure if it operates like the NW-2 which will pull a train thru the LGB 1200 series switch or rather like the RS-3 which requires the 1600 type switch Some LGB 1200 series switches will be coming to me along with the engine. Thanks

Go with the largest switch.
They will go thru the Aristo X-wide (10’) but love USA’s #6 switch.
They will go thru with no cars but.
Also if you use Ka-dee # 830 go big!
Hope this helps.
Sean

What Sean said.

The USA GP-9 I was my first engine. I only had an R1 circle, and later on a few R1 switches. In order to get the Geep to pull cars around such a tight circle I used Asymmetrical Hook & Loop on the engine and the first car. Later on I got a second GP-9 and still had R1 switches in my yards, so I stayed with the H&L on the rear of the lead engine and both ends of the trailing engine. I have a transition car that has H&L on one end and a Knuckle on the other. Neither Geep has seen a wheel turn in over a year. I need to change that soon. I wonder if my track power still works outdoors.

That’s what I was afraid of. My rr is “operation oriented” with KD’s on everything. I have the odd R1 curve that doesn’t create any problems as long as it is joined with something larger but I do have a number of R1 switches. Thanks for input

Well my indoor staging tracks are 1600’s. with usa number 6’s planned for my entension outdoors. I did use 1200’s for my engine house but that’s only after the swtiches were given to me. Believe or not I can run my SD45 through those, even as silly as it looks.

I tried to run the GP9 with the NW2 tbrough the 1200 with Kadees. No go.

John

Thanks again, I know running the RS-3 thru a 1200 by itself is no problem but with a car coupled on is a derailment for sure that’s why I was asking about the GP-7/9. Was hoping it would be like the NW-2 but afraid it would be like the RS-3.