Large Scale Central

Radio Control Harnesses

Dennis,

Is a person controlling an r/c operated full size locomotive considered an “operator” or an “engineer”.

I didn’t know you got to run them. Sounds like fun.

TonyWalsham said:
Actually the technology portion is a snip to replicate for Large Scale. The problem would be making the hardware look the same. The 2.4 Ghz Spektrum stick type R/C would do the job admirably. Great range and reliable control with a stubby TX antenna. Plenty of sticks and switches for the multiple controls. Programmable to remember 10 locos. Plus, you can buy purpose designed moulded cradles to hold the TX that sling around the neck and could also be tied to your waist.
And what's the holdup.............:) :) :)

Why would I want to lug around that ten pound boat anchor hung around my neck, when I can just carry something the size of a deck of cards that does the same thing?

Steve Featherkile said:
Why would I want to lug around that ten pound boat anchor hung around my neck, when I can just carry something the size of a deck of cards that does the same thing?
That is the question, but the replication of the equipment may be desirable to some. I have the same thoughts in that one of the best things I like about the RCS transmitter is the size.
Ric Golding said:
Dennis,

Is a person controlling an r/c operated full size locomotive considered an “operator” or an “engineer”.

I didn’t know you got to run them. Sounds like fun.

Ric,

They are operators, or RCO's.   Never, not matter what, refer to them as an engineer, especially when in the presence of a real engineer.    

Fun lasted about 2 mintues...   There's nothing to me that makes anything about using remote's any easier or more efficent.

Stay tuned.

Uh-oh, grey matter is heating up.

It’s all your fault Mr Golding. :wink:

Well, you and Mr Ottney.

Tony,

You just can’t imagine the things I get blamed for. That’s okay, I understand my job.

Standard answers -

You always start with “I’m sorry” said as sincerely as possible (sometimes that’s the tough part) and then followed with the answer that applies.

Yes, absolutely its my fault.

Your right, he/she is darling.

No, there is no way you should have figured that out.

You did the right thing.

Let me take care of that for you.

Yes, it would be better if the wind was -------------- (stronger or lighter whichever applies)

You go have another beer, we’ll get this.

And one of my favorites - no really you don’t look foolish, a lot of people have done it that way (Always best to walk away before laughing)

I operated a yard switcher at the Bethlehem Steel Co. back in the 1970’s. It was a simple aluminum box with an angled top and two rings to hook the harness to, and some switches for fwd, rev, horn, the speed control IIRC was a simple rheostat.

Bethlehem Steel, Rubber tired locomotive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOKJhEeIgqs&feature=player_embedded

At last it is up and running.
See the WHAT is BELTROL R/C? thread on the Power and Sound forum.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=11591