Large Scale Central

"NEWEST" Big Hauler - How to get one??

In February, Barry Olsen posted a very favorable review of the “newest” Bachmann factory version of their famous Big Hauler loco. Barry’s own meticulously crafted replacement drive train is legendary for quality. Therefore, Barry’s evaluation is highly respected and very persuasive towards readers wanting to purchase the “newest” Big Hauler. Other readers have affirmed that appraisal with their own reporting.

And…

Still the question remains unanswered: How can anyone of us successfully order the absolute “newest” version – the one that has this applauded improved gearing, etc., – and know we will have that one shipped to us? The fact over 2000 readers of my original posting did not respond to this question likely indicates the problem remains unsolved. What ordering identifiers can be used? Is there any accompanying number or code on the packaging so no package will be broken into – as if an order clerk would even entertain the process! – to check for “bumps” on the drive train cover or stamping marks, etc., that readers have seduced as indicators?

If anyone of us calls TRAINWORLD to place an order for the “newest” or “latest” version of the infamous “ANNIE,” is not the “latest” or last one available considered by the order clerk to be the one they have in stock?

Any success stories on how to…?
Wendell

Yes, work with a seller that will personally inspect the product before shipping.

Unfortunately that will NOT be the absolute lowest price in town, like trainworld or discount trains, etc. It cannot be because you have to consider how they are the absolute lowest: they spend less time (overhead cost) per sale.

BUT!

You can find good dealers that will be ever so close the to absolute lowest, dealers that will stand behind everything they sell, even if the manufacturer won’t honor a return, they will.

One such dealer is RLD hobbies. The owner, Robby Dascotte will do these things for you if you call him and ask. Sure, he might be $10 higher than the shop that tells you to kiss off if you want some special handling. Makes sense right?

So I am completely loyal to dealers such as RLD hobbies. I call up and order without even asking the price, I don’t have to worry whether I’m getting a good deal, or the product I ordered. I know I will be taken care of.

So get the latest “identifiers” on the product you want (to help the dealer), call a dealer who is interested in service and repeat business, and is, well, honest and trustworthy, and get what you want.

Regards, Greg

I second Greg about Robby.

He gets my Honest John acknowledgement. … I know … no big whoop, but Robby is a good guy.

RLD Hobbies, you won’t be sorry.

John