Large Scale Central

"New" Loop & Hook, Care and Preservation Society

A pleasant light hearted thread to be sure. Now we seem to have found great favour for the H+L, by a good many, the thought crosses my mind as to what other uses do people use these couplers for - other than as couplers. I have seen them referred to a bottle openers on many an occasion but I have to say that they were not strong enough tp open the caps of the Newcastle Brown Ale ** bottles that I have here.

**A sweet tasting ale made in the North East of England.

You could probably mix them with wood pellets and burn them in a pellet stove.

Burning plastic does not do the flues much good, unless the flue temperatures are maintained at a rather high level…there is also the noticeable aroma from burning plastic, which my normally friendly neighbours would not appreciate…

Fred Mills said:

Burning plastic does not do the flues much good, unless the flue temperatures are maintained at a rather high level…there is also the noticeable aroma from burning plastic, which my normally friendly neighbours would not appreciate…

Fred,

You surely must know that the Kadee gods require a sacrifice on a regular basis in order for the couplers to remain in top notch condition. :wink:

There is an “Underground” system forming, sending me mail that should be entered here, but the correspondents seem afraid to post, because some might think of them as less than fine hobby persons…

One note suggests that in Lew of destroying any L&H’s, a person should find new and “Better ?” uses for them…such as, making necklaces using them…

Now I’m not about to start wearing things around my neck. or hang anything from my ears or nose; but I guess it might be of interest to some…another person seems to be thinking of visiting his local tattoo parlour in order to have a string of L&H’s tattooed up both his arms…

This thread sure brings 'em out of the “Pop Corn Packing”, and into the beam of the flashlight…

So far, I’ve been promised at least $5.50 towards the museum, or failing that, a donation to the local Humane Society (SPCA)

One person suggest, that Bermuda is not a good place for the Museum, as they don’t get enough snow there, to show that L&H’s work well in Winter conditions, and proposes Iceland, instead.

No…I’m not making this up…the emails keep coming…Loop and Hooks seem to be a hot topic, for reasons that baffle my mind…but at least it’s light entertainment…

The only person I expected to hear from is Johnny Chuff Chuff…his wisdom would add to the fun…!!

Padre,

This whole thing is moving much too quickly … considering the originating location. One should seriously consider to assemble a H&L conclave at the Pub Italia. The only place in Ottawa with a sufficient number of pews and almost unlimited quantities of “Holy Water”.

BTW I suspect your correspondents in the “Underground” are afraid to spoil their somber image on the forum, eh! i polli!

That does appear to be the case, HJ…sadly…but true…I was just sent a note suggesting that if his name was mentioned, I might not be able to enjoy a bheer again…but then others just think the whole thing is a “Hoot”…but I leave it to them to post, or not post…

That place would be good, HJ…

They are fantastic for kids, my 11 year old has them on his train, at Ricks one year he learned to unhook them with a popsicle stick, he thought that was cool, so he has done it by himself for about 3 years now.

Tom H

Like most of the threads, that are humour based; this one is slowly dying, while the “Ranting, Raving, name calling” threads seem to thrive, with people threatening to leave; leaving, blaming everyone’s ancestors for each others problems, and demanding return of non-paid memberships…

Heck…the Hook and Loop Couplers never cause that much anguish in anyone’s LS model railroading life…not even the B’mann ones…

Hey guys…can I get at least one laugh, and half a smile, for that statement…or send a US buck, to get the H&L museum started…!!!

Fred, I wondered whether to add to this tread. I realized you were disappointed that it was dying and that it might incur a deluge of mail. So I tossed a coin: it was heads up, which meant post, besides, I thought the mail will give him something to read now the darker nights are coming.

The suggestion by HJ, about the conclave in an Ottawa establishment is a good one but there is one serious reservation. That is if it is truly a conclave many members, after a short while, might get withdrawal symptoms from not being able to operate their railroads.

My suggestion would be before the conclave commences a club be requested to build a railroad in the premises as a winter project. I gather winters are long in the northern latitudes of North America so they would have plenty of time.

So there it is Fred, I am sure you know of a Club you could approach.

Alan,

“i polli” (Italian for “the chickens”) like to roost in the dark, but trying to deprive The Padre of bheer is a bit over the top.

OTOH Fred has proved that it isn’t easy to approach a subject with humour and be understood. LS seems to be a deadly serious subject.

I remember the thread when someone (shall go unnamed) posted that I should remove my silly, laughing visage (I’m paraphrasing) from my Avatar, something about it being too mocking. Yep, LS is deadly serious, which makes me wonder how many of Fred’s correspondents keep telling us on the fora that “LS is FUN” and “that’s what they really enjoy about it”.

As Vonnegut stated when those situations arose “So it goes.”

HJ,

maybe I have conveyed a wrong interpretation. Far be it for me to deprive The Padre, or anyone else for that matter, of any beverage of choice.

No, my view was that after a while the need for railroads as well as ‘bheer’ would be overwhelming for some folks.

I can’t find a way to place a emoticon here. Chat Room yes, here no.

I have found another use for my H&L!!!

I hang them randomly around my layout from trees, buildings, especially by hills and problematic switches.
Now, I know you are all thinking I’m crazy but there is a method to my madness.
The reason behind this is to scare the crap outta my KD couplers. The KD’s see the H&L and fear replacement by the ‘old guard’. They fear them so much that they rarely if ever disconnect!! The most prominent H&L hangs over the exit door from my barn. Written in white paint on the H&L says “motivation”. You can actually hear the KD’s tremble as they go under.

I also made wind chimes out of H&L couplers but the sound wasn’t pleasing to my new wife’s ears. It’s gonna cost me a lot of money to get rid of her…

Terry

…should have kept the old wife, she had better taste…or was that hearing…!!

Padre,

Another use for H&L’s I recently [6/1/13] tied the knot and to save a few $$$ we instead of wedding rings exchanged Hook & Loops. We also gave each guest at the wedding a gift of a set so they will forever be reminded of our special day. I’m surprised Terry did not do the same at his recent wedding.

Anyway I hope Father Fred can send a Blessing our way, and we wish him well with his plans for a H&L museum.

Chuck& Gerry

I am going to experiment with using one of these as a nametag holder. Then everyone can say “What a clever idea”!

I like them very much. How else can I hold my belt together? My pants will fall down!

Andrew

I have a couple of NB engines that use H&Ls and a totefull of rolling stock that goes with them, for the 4 yr.old grandson to play with. He also has a B’man Lil Big Hauler engine that those same cars work well with.

Ben H.

Nice to see some humor on the site!