Large Scale Central

Questions about LGB switches

For some of the reasons posted, I have changed over to all manually operated switches. My electrically driven EPL switch drives, along with the 12070 supplementary switches and the 17100 contacts started to take more of my time maintaining them than I was willing to give them.

I have 4 electric lgb switches outdoors since 2000, and they run fine ! Even in snow …as long as the points and bar are clear of debris. Just clean around them occassionally with a compressor (after doing your monthly chk of your household vehicle fleet tires) !

Albeit the furthest one will buzz but will not complete flipping over. I’ve read where it likely needs a booster of some sort on it !

doug c

Doug Cannon said:

I have 4 electric lgb switches outdoors since 2000, and they run fine ! Even in snow …as long as the points and bar are clear of debris. Just clean around them occassionally with a compressor (after doing your monthly chk of your household vehicle fleet tires) !

Albeit the furthest one will buzz but will not complete flipping over. I’ve read where it likely needs a booster of some sort on it !

doug c

It also depends on how damp the location of your switch drives is.

Waterproofing LGB’s electric switch motors can be done by an external solution: Make a simple RR yard tool box to cover the switch motor. I cut an opening for the operating slide. The main advantage is cutting down on the Rainbird water blast on the top of the casing and entry point for the wiring. True, you will need to keep the material thickness thin on the track-side wall of the box resting on top of the ties. Be sure to provide entry for the wiring.
Wendell

To add on to Wendall’s solution… provide good drainage underneath the switch motor by putting an inch or so of crushed rock underneath the motor to wick the water away.