Large Scale Central

Question---sump'n's buggin' me

Just now , putting decals on a 1/20.3 Hartford Stock car kit , I attached the decal

ALA 3 46 -------------the figures are not important , but the same appears on a lot of the stuff I’ve made ,along with other more understandable abbreviations such as REPKD 6 45 , INT DIMS 39FT8INCHES , and KILROY WOZ ERE ------that may have been grafitti .

So , wot’s with this ALA lark , then ?

Mike

PS Fred , I know that you would like to answer , but you just concentrate on finding your pants before you catch cold .

Mike Morgan said:
So , wot's with this ALA lark , then ?
Mike:

It’s the cars assigned ‘home’ and translates to “Alamosa, March, 1946”

Happy RRing,

Jerry Bowers

Jerry ,
Thank you kindly , sir . I would never have worked that out in a month of Sundays . It also explains why I couldn’t see it on other lines’ cars .
Cheers , Jerry .
Mike

Mike, my son;
Now that I’m fully dressed and ready to do what has to be done. I can answer your problems.

Besides the railroad name, number and reporting marks; for example: Canadian Pacific freight car number 150094, would have the reporting marks: CP 150094.
There would be a whole lot of information, generally called "Data".
 This data included: inside diamentions, weight, load limit (Max. weight allowed), built date, lube date, rebuild date, where built, and in some cases, where the car should be returned to, after unloading. This would in some cases indicate the car was in "Captive service". Other thing you could see was: "Clean lading only", "Nailable steel floors", "Do not cleat".

On the inside of some box cars, you could find lettering and lines indicating how high to load different commodities, like corn, grain or other bulk stuff.
Yes, they used to ship grain in box cars, in fact they shipped just about everything in box cars at one time or another, including very high smelling hides, and other stuff that would turn you off of food.

Anything you want to know about North American railcar lettering, I can get answers for, from my friend Tom Hood, of CDS Lettering fame. He has done so much research on the subject, that it would be hard to find a better source of information.

Helps if you read the other posts first … nevermind… I wasn’t answering what you asked.

Fred ,
Thanks a lot for the additional info , it’s little snippets like that which make the casual study of railways that much more appealing .

Matthew ,
Huh ?

Mike

The danger of trying to do more than thirty or so things at once is that you might, as I did, answer a post, and inadvertently first duplicate a perfectly good answer already given, and then go on to answer several other questions that weren’t asked.

When I discovered I’d done that, it was too late to fully delete my gaffe, resulting in what you saw.

Fully a reading comprehension issue on my part!

Matthew (OV)

Of course, Fred left off “DO NOT HUMP” … a sign ignored by an engine crew on one particular occasion, sending a fellow I knew from the museum crashing over the hump in a historic old car he’d been sent to shepherd back to the museum over the various freight railroads that were to haul it … he’d fallen asleep inside, and woke up just as the car started down the plunge…

OK , Matthew , in other words , you are somewhat like the rest of us . Vague at times , worried about it occasionally , but just gettin’on with life anyway . I liked the tale of the hump shunter . We used to put pennies on the line at the local hump to see how big they’d get after a whole train had gone over . The hump was right by the open fence , and we knew the enginemen . Those pennies sometimes came off hot!!!
Mike

OK , so I am waiting for the paint to dry on the Stock car , so decide to carry on painting the scratch built interior of Caboose 0517 . Been making it for a coupla yeers now . Got the detail (roughly) of the interior from an old faded copy of a tech drawing . Made it up as best I could .
My smartass son says “Why don’t you look on the 'net , see if there’s any pics ?”
I did , There was . It’s ruined my day . Now I have to ask , do I rip it all out and start again , risking ruining the bodywork ? Or just glue the roof on and pretend it ain’t happened ?

Wotja think , guys ?

Mike

If it were me, I’d tell the story of the cantankerous conductor (guerillious guard?) who remodeled the interior to his own particular tastes … Your photo must’ve been taken before he did so, or after he retired and the company put it back the way it was…

Sure… it could’ve happened JUST like that.

Matthew (OV)

Mikey, my son…

Put a roof on it and post a picture......I'll bet that it will be a prize.......Enjoy it; I know I will. You built it, so it can't be so bad.

Waiting with great antisipation.....!!!

Mat;

I purposely left off “Do not hump” as I felt that it was a might too graphic for such a refined group as this…!!!

Fred, you could have posted the response in the off topic forum…:smiley: Nobody would have noticed the “off color”…

As for the caboose, glue the roof on and get on with life. This time next year you will be the only one that will remember that the interior isn’t quite to the prototype. Now what WILL upset us all is if you don’t post any pictures…:confused:

Warren , that’s the problem , I shall remember . Silly me . My laddo says he thinks I’m being too fussy , so I shall take pics of it as it stands (or falls over ) and post them here .
Fred , you are too kind , but I hate to discourage you . So flatter away , my friend .
Tomorrow’s job , then . Take pictures .
At least I can trust everyone here to be honest .

Mike

ps… what’s this humping joke then ? It can’t be about camels , unless they are mis-spelled bactrains . It can’t be about the Notre Dame bloke —though I can tell you a story about him . In fact I will .
We are walking across the area in front of Notre Dame in Paris , and a bloke cycles past in the pouring rain with a cycling cape on , and a haversack on his back under the cape . My brother , being a bit of a wit , well , half a one , says “He’s just finished his stint on the bells” . Three Englishmen nearly arrested for rolling about laughing in the rain like complete barmy cases . You had to be there .
The cyclist was French , so he didn’t get the hump .
Another time the same three of us were nearly arrested for hysterical laughing was in Whitehorse , BC .
A native american staggered across the road in front of us , we were waiting patiently for the lights to change to “walk” . The aforementioned gentleman suddenly about faced , came back to the light post , pushed the button , and walked back out across the road .
My brother (same one ) said "White man’s magic " and we rolled around again .
Why is it that folks are suspicious about people laughing out loud with enjoyment ?

I just asked my son about humpimg . He lent me a book . I wish I had seen the book before I reached age 60 . No wonder he blushed as he handed it to me , just before he ran . And to think that I spent two years or so in Hong Kong as a young man . Watching trains . There , back on subject .

Mike Morgan said:
OK , so I am waiting for the paint to dry on the Stock car , so decide to carry on painting the scratch built interior of Caboose 0517 . Been making it for a coupla yeers now . Got the detail (roughly) of the interior from an old faded copy of a tech drawing . Made it up as best I could . My smartass son says "Why don't you look on the 'net , see if there's any pics ?" I did , There was . It's ruined my day . Now I have to ask , do I rip it all out and start again , risking ruining the bodywork ? Or just glue the roof on and pretend it ain't happened ?

Wotja think , guys ?

Mike

Mike, my friend,

There is a prototype for everything. Those cabosses were changed so many times that one photo means nothing! If you got the interior from a tech drawing, now matter how faded, your rendition is closer to the truth than any photo take years after the thing was built. Put the roof on and be at peace.

Did I tell you the one about PFC McGoon and the camel with two humps? I didn’t? Well, I’ll have to tell you the story, just as soon as I can make it up…er…remember it in detail. Why let the truth interfere with a good story!

My poor Lovely Bride. After all these years, she still can’t tell when I am spinning a Sea Story!

Steve Featherkile said:

My poor Lovely Bride. After all these years, she still can’t tell when I am spinning a Sea Story!

Hmmmmmmmmmm Steve,

You mean not even after about four or five minutes? :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW what is the difference between a Sea Story and a Shaggy Dog Tale?

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Steve Featherkile said:

Hmmmmmmmmmm Steve,

You mean not even after about four or five minutes? :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW what is the difference between a Sea Story and a Shaggy Dog Tale?

Well… A Sea Story usually starts out, “This ain’t no sh#t.” I don’t know how a Shaggy Dog Tale begins. :smiley:

This is a long tail?

So this is what started this thread off . Here is a partially built wagon becoming distressed .

note the lump of tissue paper on the corner . I only noticed it when looking at the photos . The “G” in Grande has been peppered with a shotgun blast .

The other end

General view

Shut the door , it’s draughty

OK , the next bit will be there when my brain has recovered from the overwork caused by posting 5 pictures . Comments welcomed in the meantime . Mike PS . I thought I might show how I build these things , you may note that there are no delicate bits on yet , and it has its body painted . Taking this route leads to less loss of teeny parts , makes it easier to knock the crap outta the paintwoik . It is easier to put the decals on before detail as well , because then you don’t have to make the decal snuggle down over the bolt heads and things like that . The decals can then also be distressed . This is becoming a modelling thread , innit ? It didn’t start off as one really . Oh , yes , ----if you think the model is good , most of the credit must go to Hartford Models who kindly sold me the kit . This is not a fishing for compliments trick , credit has to go where it is due . Hartford make some damn fine stuff . Try them . I have no pecuniary connection with Hartford , I just thought you ought to know where the hard bit was done .

Righto , here’s the Cabooose which started me off on the subject of interiors . Never mind the exterior for the moment , it has a wrong number on it for a start . It’s just there to show the type .