Large Scale Central

PVC to Styrene

So we have lots of discussion on here about what adhesives will “glue” one material to another. I now see where Rick has used Flex seal as an adhesive and I am very curious about this as I still think a hybrid foam core skinned in styrene sheets would be the way to go for building construction. But not sure what adhesive would make a strong bond between the two. MEK eats foam as does CA.

Then as I was replying to another thread It got me thinking about my current challenge build and I want a PVC base and then the bulk of the structure will be styrene. Anyone know if there is a chemical that will weld the two together as opposed to just gluing them. CA will bond the two, I know that. But MEK doesn’t melt PVC as far as I know. Does PVC cement melt styrene? Or does someone know of something else?

I’ve used regular PVC cement to glue styrene to PVC board. Seems to have held.

Ill have to do a test panel when I glue my base. I thought I had tried it once before but I have tried so many different things I could be remembering wrong. For attaching a stytene building to a PVC base to sit on it wouldn’t have to be a perfect attachment. CA would work. But I was hoping there was a quick answer to an actual chemical “weld”.

My main issue with CA is that its not very shock tolerant. I prefer either chemical bonding, or a strong epoxy.

I’ve used “Welder”. It is a contact cement and doesn’t seem to eat styrene…

Devon,
These products work well, Weld on also makes a glue for this.

https://www.curbellplastics.com/Research-Solutions/Specialty-Products/Adhesives-and-Sealants/SCIGRIP-Solvent-Based-Assembly-Adhesives

Now I almost feel stupid. I hadn’t thought epoxy. That may answer my styrene to foam question also.

Plastruct cement will work as well, and i recommend over PVC cement for thinner sheets, as the solvent must escape somewhere and can result in styrene bubbles. see my thread on industry in a Wye. i tried .02 sheet with PVC cement and had issues. fitting styrene sheet to round things is always a chalenge.

Al P.

1 Like

I really like Loctite HY-4070 for dissimilar materials. It is a hybrid CA-Epoxy and comes in a syringe applicator. Very pricey at about $18/11 gram tube on Amazon. with three applicator

I have used it to bond metals, wood and plastics in all combinations with great results. It is a gel and has a small gap filling capability.

From the manufacturer

LOCTITE HY 4070

LOCTITE HY 4070

Transparent, cloudy colorless to pale yellow cyanoacrylate/acrylic hybrid gel adhesive that provides a fast fixture at room temperature.

From Loctite:

LOCTITE HY 4070 is a 2-part, transparent, cloudy colorless to pale yellow cyanoacrylate/acrylic hybrid gel adhesive that provides a fast fixture at room temperature in bond gaps up to 0.2 in (5 mm). It suits various substrates including most plastics, rubbers and metals. It is used where complete cure of excess adhesive as well as temperature and moisture resistance, is required. Best application results are achieved with LOCTITE 10 ml Hybrid and Cyanoacrylate mixing nozzle (to suit HY 4070 and 3090).

** Non-sag*
** Gel consistency prevents adhesive flow, even on vertical surfaces.*
** Gap filling up to 0.02 in (5 mm)*
** Temperature and moisture resistance*

Is that “resistance” something to worry about for outside models? Temperature might also be a problem for more extreme weather than I have…

I wouldn’t use it for anything that was to be submerged, but I use it in sign fabrication and have not had any outdoor use failures. My glue joints aren’t directly exposed, so that could be an issue.

Glad I asked this question. . .I think. Other than I have to now go out and buy 2000 dollars worth of adhesive products and do about 30 test panels . There goes my $30 dollar MIK budget.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think for what I am doing regular PVC cement will work. I do look forward to trying other things. All I need to do is mount the styene structure to a PVC base. All the rest will be styrene to styrene bond with MEK.

Out of curiosity, I just glued a piece of styrene to a bit of insulation foam using TiteBond III.

Eric

and you got a good firm bond? Because that would be the ultimate. Considering I use titebond 3 pretty regularly.

Devon,

I used a bit of styrene about the size of a postage stamp last night and glued it to pink insulating foam using TiteBond III. 24 hours later, it was a very solid bond. I would have had to work under the styrene with a knife or fingernail to peel it off.

This test implies the technique would at least work for small things like chests, casks, suitcases, etc. Whether or not this would work on a larger piece of foam, such as the size of a building’s wall in any of the large scales, is the question. I may proceed with a test using one of my 2023 projects as a core…but first the Mik!

Eric

I happen to have a rather large supply of some pretty thin styrene that I would use to skin foam if this works. I might have to make up a larger panel and give this a try. Not so much for my MIK project as I have that already handled with thicker styrene, but for the Hecla build which will be a quite large structure when done this would be a much more preferable way to go so that I can have a very thick rigid wall but still have my styrene I am so fond of.

If you would rather buy sheets rather than laminate them up yourself, a sign making product called GatorPlast is approximately .020 styrene faces laminated to a foam core. They rate it as an indoor product. To test that, I put a small piece of black outdoors about 4 years ago exposed to sun, wind, rain, snow, heat and freeze. Other than being dirty, it hasn’t changed at all.

Jon,

Why are you just now telling me about this??? :crazy_face:

How long were you going to entertain yourself watching me stumble along trying to reinvent the wheel. First off I had ZERO idea there was such a thing as styrene foam board. That in and of itself is a game changer. IF I were to laminate it myself that would be perfect as I know exactly how to bond styrene to styrene. But the fact that I can buy a foam cored board skiinned in a styrene sheet is perfect. I will be giving Laird plastics a call and see if they have this stuff or something like it. This 100% would solve my issue.

So I just hate it when you end up feeling quite dumb. Thanks to Jon ( and yes I am just teasing) This entire conversation may end up being a mute point. Not only does my favorite plastics dealer (Laird) carry the Gator products they have another material that is less expensive but is virtually the same thing. It is good old foam cored boards (Fome Cor) that I have seen signs made out of but is pretty thin (.187) but it also comes in 1/2 inch. My only issue at this point is that on their website at least I have to buy it in case quantity. I will have to call them and see what if they will sell it by the sheet. Or find another dealer or see if they can turn me onto a sign shop that buys it and see if I can get a sheet off of them. But this will, I think, be the answer I have been wanting.

I take that back the Gator products are only sold by the case. i can buy 1 sheet of the Fome Cor for $150.00