Large Scale Central

PRR M1a Mountain top

Is anyone aware of a large scale model PRR M1a ever being produced? I’d love to add an M1a to my layout but thus far I’ve never been able to locate a model. Thanks

I had to look up the M1A Mountain top and it sure looked like a mountain. It looked large heavy and powerful. I don’t think anyone has made one for large scale so it looks like you are on your own to custom make one or add some details to an existing 4-8-2 that I believe was made.

If you decide to tackle this project keep us all posted since we like custom jobs.

Fine art made one many years ago and it was magnificent. Of course you had to take a second mortgage out to buy one.

Sunset Valley RR has one of each–freight and passenger. $7,000 to 7,500. Brass 1:32 Fine Art Models.

HAHAHAHAHA, well thank you for the response. Needless to say, unless I win the next Powerball, I won’t be purchasing an off-the-shelf M1a. I might aim for a T-1, but the accucraft model is out of my price range too. I own an accucraft butane-fired PRR K4 and an LGB PRR L1 Mikado. The LGB Mikado isn’t a very accurate representation of a PRR L1 Mikado, so if I were to undertake a project to build a M1a, I might have to use the ‘guts’ of an LGB Mikado.

Jay Briscoe said:

If I were to undertake a project to build a M1a, I might have to use the ‘guts’ of an LGB Mikado.

What was that?

It sounded like 1,000 LGB collectors all shrieking at once!

I thought this thread could use a photo. After reading I did a search to remind me of the beauty of these beasts. Low and behold, I found a picture of a Fine Art model that Triple R Services Converted into a coal burner!

Here is the link to thier page on this conversion: http://www.realsteamservices.com/retrofit/

Just scroll down about half way for the story…

This is one of my “train walls”. Do you think the M1a has a special place in my heart?

Jay, as a thought, you might consider looking at the Aristocraft Pacific as a possible starting point to kitbash into the M1.

Jay Briscoe said:

This is one of my “train walls”. Do you think the M1a has a special place in my heart?

Paul Norton said:

What was that?

It sounded like 1,000 LGB collectors all shrieking at once!

I look at it this way. When I cut up an LGB loco or car, I just made some collector’s piece all the more unique. In fact, I just finished building a box car out of a 70’s vintage green stock car. Y’all can thank me on your way to the bank. :wink:

Later,

K