Large Scale Central

Proxon Rotary Tool Attachments

So i have a Dremel brand rotary tool, with the new style “throat”. I believe it is this one

and I am wondering if anyone has used it witht he Proxxon attachments. Specifically I am interested in their Micromot drill stand

This would be a very useful tool as would their other attachments.

I answered my own question after looking at the Micromot tool. It wouldn’t work reliably if at all. The Micromot is a small tool with a very specific throat to work with this series of attachments. I might be in the market for a new rotary tool.

I have the Micromot and the correct Proxxon drill. Nice pieces of equipment.

You need really to buy the small vise that fits the Micromot base to use the thing effectively.

Dremel have a stand of their own don’t they??

I think dremel does but I have not looked recently. I should I was just steared away in the past because they were cheaply made. Might be better now. I just like that the proxxon will drill at any angle between 0 and 90 that’s a cool feature

Why not just buy a small drill press?

Drill Press

All my Dremel bits and numbered drill bits fit in the chuck.

Micro-Mark have a couple of mini toolmaker vises that hold parts firmly.

mini vise

I have a Harbor freight 3/8 hp drill press, and a HF drill press table vice. For as much/little as I use it, it’s been serving me well. My Dremel, with or without the flex shaft, I do use a lot more then the drill press. But the Dremel doesn’t run as slow as the drill press can, and sometimes the slower speed is needed.

Edit for my phone’s foxtrot uniform spell chequer

Paul Norton said:

Drill Press

There is no way your a model railroader. I mean why would one have a drill press as pop art. That work space is in no way owned by a model railroader. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I have thought about that. I am having a hard time doing it mainly because of limited space indoors and the fact that I have a large drill press outdoors (or will again when the shop smith gets fixed). The Dremel/proxxon attachment is something that could be stored out of the way when not in use. But so can a small drill press. I haven’t ruled it out.

David Maynard said:
I have a Harbor freight 3/8 hp drill press, and a HF drill press table vice. For as much/little as I use it, it’s been serving me well. My Dremel, with or without the flex shaft, I do use a lot more then the drill press. But the Dremel doesn’t run as slow as the drill press can, and sometimes the slower speed is needed. Edit for my phone’s foxtrot uniform spell chequer

I walk by them every time I am in harbor freight and almost grab one. And I agree for the amount they get used and for what I do I don’t think one can do to bad with the HF ones.

Devon, Dremel does have a drill press/stand for their rotary tools. I have one paired with the Dremel 4200. The stand is cast aluminum, the rod holding the drill attachment device is chrome plated steel but the drill attachment is plastic. It works pretty good. It will allow drilling from 0-90 degrees also. My biggest complaint is since the tool attachment is plastic, it does have some give to it when under a horizontal stress. But overall, I am happy with it.

Dan,

Thanks I will give that a look. I admit the ones I looked at were made long ago and were not good at all. From what it sounds like the Dremel one will be the way to go. I will check them out.

I should have jumped on Dremel’s sight before asking. I didn’t realize what all they offered. That work station (drill press) is certainly not the same beast I looked at years ago. That is very cool. I knew they made a plunge router attachment but I didn’t know they made a router table. Add that to the list.