Large Scale Central

Pros and Cons; Aster vs Accucraft

As a newbie to live-steam, I was hoping someone could comment and weigh the pros and cons of the two main live-steam manufacturers; Aster and Accucraft.

Jay,

It depends on what sort of railroad you want. Do you want a loco which:

1. Runs continuously on a circuit, largely unattended, while you sit back and watch it?

2. Runs continuously on a circuit but needs to be driven, like a real loco?

3. Runs like a real loco on a real railroad with stops at stations, switching, etc?

Aster make beautiful models in Gauge 1 (1:32) which are meths powered. Mine came with 1400 components and took three months to build. It was a great experience and now sits on show in my office. When running it needs careful driving, setting up the balance between regulator, blower and water bypass. They are also not cheap.

Accucraft make gas powered models in Gauge 1 (1:32) which are ready to run and are much simpler to drive. Just make sure that the water is set correctly and watch it going round and round until the gas runs out. Not as detailed as Aster but a lot less expensive.

Accucraft also make gas powered, narrow gauge locos in G scale (around 1:20). These can be radio controlled and can be used to run a “real” railroad with switching, station stops, etc. They are lower cost and can be good fun if you are into that sort of thing.

I might throw in another name of Roundhouse in the UK. They also make gas powered G scale locos like Accucraft and their quality is really excellent. Most importantly they have some kits which are economical and building them is a really rewarding experience.

Regards

Peter Lucas

MyLocoSound

Some G1 Accucraft models are gas-fired - in fact, most of their British outline live-steamers are either gas-fired or electric. Their Canadian Pacific Royal Hudson is either gas or meth, but all their German G1 stuff is gas-fired.

The company that makes their models also makes live-steam in 1/29th scale, to match the products of Aristocraft and USA Trains. MTH of USA make a small range of cars in G1, BTW.

Accucraft are perhaps best known for their excellent range of locomotives for the Colorado narrow gauge - steam and electric, in Fn3 scale - 1/20.3, a large range of locos and rolling stock for the Isle of Man railway, and extensive Welsh narrow gauge models for the fan of British NG stuff.

If you are into the logging scene, then a two and three-cylinder Shay, a Climax and a Heisler, plus log cars, are there for you as well.

Me, I run all of the above.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

It depends on what you want to run and how much you are willing to spend. Accucraft has a great selection of steamers from 7/8th scale to 1:32 scale. The price cant be beat on some of their stuff when compared to others like Aster. I dont have any experience with Aster but from what I have heard and seen is they do make nice engines but at a higher price. Another option is Roundhouse. They run great and are built well. Only disadvantage is the lack of US prototypes.

Please note that ALL of Roundhouse’s models are of narrow gauge prototypes, or are ‘typical’ of the genre with no particular prototype.

They HAVE made TWO US models - the Forney, out of production for a good few years but an excellent model, and the near-scale and recently improved Sandy River #24 2-6-2.

Aster’s models, for the most part, are not just nice, but exquisite - a recent thread by Charles and Ryan Bednarik of TRS details the construction of the famous Union Pacific FEF #844…if big steam is your goal, look and drool.

tac

Mount Gleep Horizontal Cog Railway

Quality is excellent on both manufacturers also on Roundhouse (UK) Regner (Germany) and Wuhu (China) we are in the GOLDEN AGE of live steam! Look around at what is available…there is a large variety. You will be happy no matter what you choose. Some are easier some more detailed, depends what you are interested in. For US prototypes Accucraft is your go-to choice, but look too at the gems from Aster, and a pair from Wuhu.

Hmmm, I forgot to mention Regner, whose products mainly match the European meter gauge steam. They HAVE made just two US outline locomotives in recent years - the Willamette Shay and a Class A Climax, both pretty costy and in kit form - think around 2.5K stateside. Many of their models are available as bolt together kits, and all are built like the Brooklyn Bridge. Look on Youtube for a clip of Lumberjack hauling FIVE 20.3 Accucraft passenger cars, or sixty quarry tippers.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Regner is another great one and some of my best running steamers. I have a few of Regners live steam. The Lumberjack is great and fits into a US logging train and the Class A Climax is another great one. If you look at my youtube videos you will see videos for all. https://www.youtube.com/user/07461snowshoe/videos. Like Eric said you can wrong and it is a great time to be into live steam.

Just a reminder that Aster do not currently make any US outline Narrow Gauge steam loco except a very fine gas-fired three-cylinder two truck Shay. This is not a re-hash of the older version, but is an all-new model with a water connection for longer running and fabricated cylinders of brass, not cast. It is available in kit or built up - at around $3500 or so. The three-truck Western Maryland Shay can be found used - live-steam or electric - and there is also gas-fired three-truck Climax - both long out of production. Southern Steam Trains might be a good place to look for any of these models.

Accucraft make a two and three cylinder Shay - all gas-fired, and may resume production of the Climax. Note that this model had a very strange feature, one, however, that did not affect the running. All the ‘wood grain’ effect of the decks/running boards ran at right-angles to the line of the planking - VERY odd indeed. So odd that many folks used after-market veneer planking of real wood to put it right. ALL of Accucraft’s US NG locos are 1/20.3 scale - run on 45mm gauge track replicating 3 foot gauge.

There is also a two-truck Heisler at around $3000, but little has been seen of that for a good while…

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

And don’t forget WuHu / Bowande, who are rapidly building a reputation for decent live steam engines. They don’t make kits (like Aster) but they do add lots of features like axle pumps (unlike Accucraft’s smaller locos. Though to be fair, I pointed out to the US dealer that a simpler Wuhu loco would be a good ‘starter’ engine!)

Here’s their latest.

Guys, we are all throwing our hats in the air here, offering all kinds of good advice. However -

1. We still don’t know what area of live-steam the OP is interested in.

2. The OP has not responded to any of our posts so far.

Let’s hold our hosses until we get a clearer idea of what he wants - standard or narrow gauge, passenger-hauling or freight, and more to the point, what scale? We still don’t know his spend, either - $1000? $2000? $5000? More? I recall a guy over on the other forum who has spent around $30-40K or more collecting Aster locos over the last few years, and has only just now gotten around to running them on anything except his kitchen table top. Seeing a $12,000 Aster 241 steaming away with coffee cups and a kitchen sink for scenery took some taking in, that’s for sure.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Pete Thornton said: Here’s their latest.

There are at least four indicators about Jay’s query we can determine by his other post:

1. He is a novice

2. He owns a Mamod steam engine

3. He likes PRR

4. He asked for a comparison of Aster and Accucraft for future reference

As Terry indicated there has been many suggestions thus far but no response. I might recommend to Jay to seek you quest through the secondary market for a Aristocraft Mikado (live steam) as a great starter locomotive that is an American main line engine: PRR L1.

All I’ve seen of Jerry Barnes’ LS mike is how great it works!

Good recommendation there, Charles!

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Jay

On the other forum in the live steam section there is this relevant posting:

For sale- great prices

Selling Aristo Live Steam Engines which have been finely tuned for best operation. Both include case and remote and look great shape.

Mikado: $1,000 plus ship
0-4-0: $500 plus ship

Thanks for consideration, Alan