Large Scale Central

Prices TRAIN WORLD Auminum?

Looking at the TRAINWORLD online listing for Aristo aluminum track, I found the following possible conspiracy of confusion:

Aristo 1’ aluminum 4 ’ curve track - 12 pack - #12110 @ $19.99 - that’s $1.66 per foot.

and…

Aristo 1’ curved track ties - 1’ length - #30103 @ $1.99 each - that’s $1.99 per foot.

Translation: Buy the track with aluminum rail @ $1.66 per foot vs. buy the ties at $1.99 per foot without rail. Or buy the track 'n rail and remove the rail to get the ties cheaper.

Has the cost of aluminum track not able to overcome some pricing disadvantage - even at $1.66 per foot?

Question: If brass/stainless track prices are really the foible in large scale growth, why don’t the manufacturers feature starting out novices with aluminum at these low prices - especially in a starter set?

So much for TrainWorld giving up selling “Large Scale”…!!!

The Aluminium track would not be very good for “Starter Sets”, because of its well known poor wheel/rail electrical contact. Brass is far better, no-mater how many people still claim to have no problems.

Aluminium rail is great for anyone taking the sometimes large step towards modern technology, such as self-contained, battery powered, radio control, where all is required is a stable roadbed, and structurally solid track.

Aluminium rail does conduct electricity rather well, it’s the oxide that forms on it that prevents good conductivity, and requires constant cleaning.

BTW…some who are on TrainWorld’s mailing list, are still receiving notices of sales of LS equipment, and even pre-orders…sad, but most of the LGB products are of European equipment…it would seem that LGB still can’t get it into their corporate minds, that North Americans are much more attracted to North American style equipment…even in starter sets. This is not to say that their European stuff isn’t nice, and well built.

Bachmann doesn’t even seem to be making any great effort to market anything, besides a feeble gondola, which is simply a repaint of an old Big Hauler item, from their original LS line from…how many years, or decades ago…?

The jump in prices, and lack of any true marketing seems to be killing the LS market, for any new interest groups out there in “Leisure Land”…sad, sad…

I wonder what real effort will be put into marketing, this coming year, at such shows as the ECLSTS, and others, by the major manufacturers. The B’mann 2016 catalogue may be a true tale of the future…if LS is even included… Will LGB even have a corporate presence…?

Fred Mills

Fred, when I was a child, I remember every Christmas season, there were television advertisements for Tyco trains. Now days, besides the train magazines, where would anyone see an advertisement for model trains in any scale? I think that is part of the problem. Open a magazine and you will see adds for cars, cell phones, game consoles, and so many various other products. On TV there are advertisements for super flashlights, expandable garden hoses and all sorts of cheap Chinese made items. Why don’t we see a flood of new people into the hobby? If people aren’t aware that the hobby even still exists, then why would they even consider getting into the hobby? Without a market to support R&D for new products, new products will come out in a trickle.

So I agree with what you are saying, along with what I said, this hobby will limp along until some of these things get changed. New products that appeal to a larger market, and advertising to expand the market, by manufacturers that care to do to these things.

I took Wendell’s post to mean, if you need to buy Aristo ties, like for flex track, it seems cheaper to buy the aluminum sectional track, and pull it apart.

Yes, looks like one of the most inexpensive ways to make flex track from rails and ties.

Greg