Large Scale Central

Preval Paint Sprayer

I’ve had good luck with these spray units. Spray head with a glass jar you put the paint in. Sprays real well and easy cleanup. Good for when you are doing a whole car/locomotive. I used Tru Color paint(really like it!) painting a F-7 diesel, came out real well. I do have an airbrush, but find it a pain to clean.

http://www.preval.com/what-is-preval

Thanks! Wish I had known these existed a few weeks ago when my boss insisted on painting some PVC posts with a color that only comes in an oil base paint. Came out looking like crap due to bubbles from the roller.

The website says it will spray just about anything, but I assume that thick paints need to be thinned to some degree.

If you buy the Preval Funnel/Strainer The Preval Sprayer will spray anything that will go through the strainer (just like pre-straining for an airbrush, but less finicky). If the paint is too thick, just thin it slightly and try again. The unit works well and, as Jerry says, it is a good alternative to an airbrush, 'specially if you are trying to cover a relatively large area like a loco or a structure. The unit and accessories are cheap too!

Thanks Andrew. I’m going to talk the boss into ordering a few to try; along with a new respirator.

Let me know how it goes–particularly how much mileage you get out of one can. $75 for a 12-pack of refill cans isn’t intolerable (about the cost of a can of ScaleCoat) but I’d expect it to last long enough for me to paint a box car or three.

Later,

K

I did the A&B units and still had gas left over. Not sure how much. Nice fine spray, have to keep it back a little more than with a rattle can. I think I paid quite a bit less than that price Kevin, but not sure. Got it online.

Interesting. What is the clean up? Is it mostly a throw away system? Later RJD

I Found the prevail system at Lowes today for half the price and no shipping. Later RJD

R.J. DeBerg said:

I Found the prevail system at Lowes today for half the price and no shipping. Later RJD

Thanks RJ - I’ll take a look next time I’m there.

Oooooohhhhh!

Oh, honey? I need to go to Lowes!

Later,

K

I ordered a couple just to try them out. Haven’t had anything to paint yet.

I’ll have to check out Lowes, see if they carry them around here…:wink:

Easy to clean, just dump in the cleaner needed, spray a little and rinse out the bottle.