Large Scale Central

Prepping the Bluestone Southern for additions

well, the prep work has started for adding more tracks and stuff… First off, Jane has been transplanting bushes from the Memphis/Evansville wall to areas around the Hilltop Subdivision:

The plants inside the retaining wall to the left of the track, have been moved to the right side of the tracks, as I want an industry where the plants show in the below picture…

Movement of these plants, leaves the Memphis/Evansville area looking like this:

The Yard area will be expanded to a minimum of 5 tracks, and industries will be placed along the wall on the left… The round bricks were just placed there, to hold the roadbed for the tracks for the Ops session… The left wall will have another course of bricks added to it, and the whole area will be backfilled with aglime (crusher fines) to be the roadbed. At the far end, there will be a “Y” added to be able to turn locomotives… While Jane was working with the plants, I was trenching out the cut for the tracks running from Addieville, to Okawville…

This Picture shows where the tracks will run into the brick wall cutout, and continue on to Okawville… This will have a 2-track bridge, just like the Metal 2-track bridge that runs acroos Hilltop Sub… bridge will run from the brown stone wall to the cutout on the retaining wall… The cut will have some double track and a creek running on the left side of the cut…

Temps have been 55 - 60 for the past few days, nice working outside weather…

Jealous of the heavy equipment!!!

That wall looks great.

Mark V said:
Jealous of the heavy equipment!!!

That wall looks great.

What Mark said - on both counts :slight_smile:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/andyc/Nov%202012%20Ops/landscaping/Working%20on%20the%20new%20cut%20%20%20Pic%201%20%20%20%2011-18-2012.jpg)

Mark V said:
Jealous of the heavy equipment!!! .

Hey Dad lost weight! Corner Rooster! :wink:

Is it done yet? Looks great Andy.

Shawn?? It was done 3 years ago, but I want to see how long I can stretch out a forum topic… (learned this from my son)…

I like your “caboose” . . . :slight_smile:

I always enjoy seeing the small changes you make to the RR Andy. And Jane does a fine job with the landscaping.

Small changes ??? I don’t think Andy does anything small :slight_smile:

Narrow Gauge Lover said:
I like your "caboose" . . . :)
Narrow Gauge, here's a link to the construction topic: http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=15148

Andy, now that Marty has shut down his open house, it’s time for you to start up a big one, since you have the big layout. :slight_smile:

And…Andy…you could finally get that bunch out there to start taking an interest in OPERATIONS, rather than roundy roundy…you could make the meet into a true party, and not a commercial show with buyers and sellers…

Fred Mills said:
And....Andy...you could finally get that bunch out there to start taking an interest in OPERATIONS, rather than roundy roundy........you could make the meet into a true party, and not a commercial show with buyers and sellers.....
I don't know about that, Fred. We've got a huge element of our club only interested in lawn care and knitting. We've gone from years of fighting the "Red Box Brigade" to the "Green Fertilizer Bag Brigade" and new safety clinics on "How to not get injured with a knitting needle". Evolution of a club is always an intersting process.
Fred Mills said:
And....Andy...you could finally get that bunch out there to start taking an interest in OPERATIONS, rather than roundy roundy........you could make the meet into a true party, and not a commercial show with buyers and sellers.....
Fred, Ric has been promoting ""Operations"" for the past 8-10 years that I know of, with his Spring and Fall "Ops sessions weekends""..

My railroad’s design has been all for doing ““Operations””, with the first limited ““Ops Session”” held this past Nov… Support form the “club” members was good, and all the comments recieved were complimentary…

Roundy round has not been my design, altho, it can be accomplished… My ““Ops sessions”” cannot facilitate a huge group of people, as a good “Ops session”" would be about 12-18 trains crews, once the railroad is fully operational…

My goal here would be to try and have an ““Ops session”” here at least once every other month… I’d prefer to have them more often, but, I’m not sure there would be the support for more frequent ““Ops Sessions””… This is something that would have to be tried and tested over the next year or two…

Jerry Barnes said:
Andy, now that Marty has shut down his open house, it's time for you to start up a big one, since you have the big layout. :-)
Jerry, yes, I do have a large layout, compared to some. Doing something like Marty's yearly event here, would be a whole different ballgame...

The first and formost, being that I don’t have all the outbuildings Marty has to facilitate that large a group… Opening the railroad to folks is not a problem, however, a lot of my railroad is in my basement… It’s a whole other ballgame, to have one’s house opened to such a large group of people…

Secondly, I’m not sure I’d really have the Patience to handle such a group…

Also, see my comments to Fred…

Andy Clarke said:
Secondly, I’m not sure I’d really have the Patience to handle such a group…

I don’t believe that at all!

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/ECLSTS/2010EasterJ004.jpg)

I’m sure that Jane would object if Patience came to help. :smiley: