Large Scale Central

Preparations for a major Spring project

The RP&M, along with IPP&W crews, yesterday, lifted all trackage in Nelson Yard. After lifting the track, the complete benchwork was ripped out.

The yard is to be rebuilt in the Spring, to allow for better operations, and better switches.

All switches will be rebuilt Aristo wide radius ones. “S” curves will be kept to a minimum. All benchwork will be replaced, to our new standards.

Just for everyone’s information. The Pressure treated 2x lumber was in relatively good shape, considering that it had been in place for almost 20 years. For part of that 20 years it had a coating of stone dust on it that retained moisture. The only wood showing great rottage was the odd piece that was layed “Cup Up”.
The main reason we decided to rip up the bench work was that it had had a lot of add-ons added to it over the years. It was bolted together with carriage bolts and they were all rusted and were not worth trying to take apart. We just used a skill saw and cut the boards up.

The interesting thing, was, that the legs were of plain PT 2x4’s, just standing on patio stones. True they had been treated on the cut ends with Pentox…but they showed little sign of rot.
The bench work has never shown signs of frost heave, due to the fact that the patio stones were placed on undisturbed ground, and the legs were not sunk into the ground. The whole thing floated on the soil.
We may use deck blocks for the new legs, but it seems that they are not of that great importance, as long as you use a patio stone of at least 18"x 18" size, on undisturbed soil, to spread the weight of the structure.

The Yard will also be enlarged to allow for more car storage and better operation.
A lot of the switches were LGB 1600’s, and were showing great signs of wear. The difference in radius, between the Aristo WR and the LGB switches, makes a great difference in good operation; but the Aristo wide radius ones need new guard rails, set to the proper standards, and the throw bars replaced, as they get brittle in a short time. We replace them with a new brass throwbar. But we do not use track power.

I’ll try to get pictures to post here, of the big void, where the yard used to be…

Its interesting to hear about the state of the old benchwork. I’m surveying the yard now after having done some major relandscaping this summer and thinking about what I’d like to do. In light of your observations I may reconsider PT. Heck I’m only about 80 miles south of you and we get all that Canadian snow and cold air you send down across the lake.
Dave

Do you have any plans to dispose of the old switches and track?

I use PT 2x lumber. Build it just like a deck. Legs are 4x4 PT, usually set in deck blocks, sitting on 18" square patio stones. I avoid spans over 4 feet, so that there is no chance of sag. Splicing is not done on crossmembers…use 18" plates of the same material.
Spans over 4 feet are given a central girder of a verticle (4"dimention) 2x4, mounted on three horizontal crossmembers. Two girders, if the deck is over 3’ wide.
I only use this approach where I need a wide area for yard trackage. I would not suggest building an active yard for operations, below 18" in height. The higher the better…it’s much easier on our aging backs…!!!

All track is reused…switches are not …the LGB switches are “Long in the tooth” and I would hesitate offering them to anyone…I did offer them to young Chris, a not far off neighbour, but he hasn’t seen fit to come for them…they might be salvageable, but I would never recomend them to anyone.
I have just ordered a fair quantity of new Aristo switches, at a very fair price…

…oh yes…there are some Aristo WR switches, but they will be rebuilt and then reused. Some had been rebuilt already, when they gave trouble.

If you lived in our country you could work on it in the winter! Nice project!

Sounds cool.

It’s been in use 20 years? I’d say it held up very well.