Large Scale Central

Preferred Weathering Materials

Since I’m converting my old radio gear to Railpro in three steam engines and have them all apart currently I’ve been thinking of doing some light weathering. What are your preferred materials? I read a thread where a member used Ultimate Clay Based Weathering Washes. Thoughts?

I have a friend who loved weathering with Floquil, but obviously those are no longer available.

Thanks for your input.
Richard

Richard,
I don’t do much weathering but when I do I prefer using plain old colored chalks. You can seal it with hairspray and if you don’t like the results you wipe it off with water and towels.

3 Likes

I have seen( but not tried it ) that some guys have had good success with women’s eye shadow powders!, lots of browns and tans

1 Like

I’m pretty much old school when it comes to weathering, for engines and railroad cars I still weather with enamel paints, since RR colors manufactures are just about gone these days, so now I use Testor’s paints in the small hobby bottles and apply with my airbrush. I do have to mix colors as some colors are just not available to get the weathering color I want, the military colors are a good place to start. As far as chalks go, I do use these on models that are not handled, as the chalk will come off on engine models that are handled like engines and rolling stock. I would say, for someone just starting out on weathering, I would watch YouTube videos on this and get you going in the right direction.

2 Likes

A few years ago I posted (not here) that I used shoe polish to darken windows. I got “What’s shoe polish?”

1 Like

Yeah, You are correct I don’t handle or play with any of my trains.