Large Scale Central

Possible cheap track solution? (I accidentally deleted the previous post, whoops.)

I have a bunch of LGB track outside whose slip on joiners wore out as they always do. I could go with the expensive rail clamps or tedious soldering of jumper wires, but…

What if I just drilled holes into the track joiners? You know, like how Aristocraft track works.

I drilled through about 8 joiners before the drill bit broke, but otherwise, it seems promising. What are your thoughts regarding this? I don’t want to drill through all my track if it’s a bad idea.

Drill bit was 1/16 inch, screws were I think marklin screws for holding HO track to the table (I had to use what was available :P)

For clarification I’ll be buying USA Trains hex screws if I go through with this. And probably a titanium drill bit, i dunno

Why not just pinch the original connectors so they grab again. I don’t think that they wear out

Yeah I guess that could work, I meant “wear out” as in getting loose, my bad. Also thank you

Max,

Echoing Pete (@Pete_Lassen ) above, recrimping those slip joiners will work. If you take a moment and clean the joiner and rail ends, it will work even better. We did this for years, which bought us time to do what I call “strategic rail-clamping.” Basically, I bought a small package of clamps for the worst spots on the railroad. Over several years (an one lucky score on used clamps), all the mainline and passing sidings got clamps.

Eric

1 Like

press the pincers closed and give a light tap with a hammer from above on the grips of the pincers.

and welcome!

2 Likes

Dead Rail comes to mind, Rail Pro with battery power. Welcome to the forum, my Rail Pro decision was just something that works for me, but there is a cost with it. True the screws, or soldering jumpers would be the least expensive repair, and it works.