Large Scale Central

Porter 042 for Raccoon Lumber ( 7 / 8n2 )

Today I deliver to your remarks one Porter 042 under construction whose works are stopped further to a change of residence.
To continue I have at first to find all the necessary material which is in cardboards.

I was inspired by Mr Wayne Spence’s model (4largescale.com)
To begin some photos of subsets.
The bell

The compressor

The water pump

the dynamo

I am glad you came along when you did. It makes me want to go back to making my own details. I did most of them for my first build and was doing to use commercial castings for my newest build. I will for some of the details (1:24 plumbing fixtures ) but for the major components I think I will scratch build. Your efforts are inspiring and to me much more gratifying in the end.

My dear Devon, I am very happy to be able to help you in your realizations and there one touch ultimate consecration, much more than to be read by hundreds of readers who do not dare to admit that they are not capable of it (what what I includes).
You made a success of your dynamo, you will know how to make the rest.
Go!!

Oh I know I can do it Jean-Gilles it was a matter of wanting too. I am just about done with my first locomotive build seen here. Many of the details are scratch built. Here are some of the highlights.

and the nearly completed loco. There are a few pieces I didn’t make like the cow catcher, the stack, the bell but that’s about it. The rest is from scratch or heavily modified. Now in that process I have leaned much. and I know where I can improve my skill. So I am not a stranger to scratch building. You just came along and reminded me how much I enjoy it.

Hey, Devon, that works! Sure makes an interesting looking little thing. Jean-Gilles, that bell is something, neat idea!

I did not want to offend you Devon, wanted to say just man that I am delighted if my realizations can help somebody. I am not master, I have no lesson to be given

No offense taken. I was just showing you that I too love scratch building and was showing off my first efforts. I know your just encouraging me. And I appreciate it. Your inspiring me to continue.

We are alike. We like the same type of stuff and we like to make it ourselves. And you have lots to teach your work is very nice.

Devon,

Have you ever run that first loco? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Devon Sinsley said:

Oh I know I can do it Jean-Gilles it was a matter of wanting too.

That’s a debate I have with myself quite often in the workshop. I look at the prototype, look in my scrap box for parts, and then ponder. I see the fine work such as what we see here and in Devon’s thread, and it is in many ways inspiring. It’s great to see folks making some darned fine detail parts, and it makes me realize that I’m under no timeline to finish a model, so spending a night or two working on such parts really wouldn’t put be “behind” in any schedule, so why not built as accurate to the prototype as possible? In many other ways, I look at that and at a commercial casting from my parts bin and think “is the difference significant enough to where I’m going to notice 5 years down the road?” Often, the answer is “no,” so I take the easy way and move on to the next step of the process. Sometimes I’ll go back and revisit, but once the model is painted and weathered, the model takes on its own life and the differences between detail parts and prototype fade into the big picture.

Later,

K

Joe,

Very very soon. I have. Coupler pocket to put on the tender (speaking of commercial castings) that is in the mail from Ozark and the RC equipment is on its way back from Australia. When they get here I will be ready to run.

Kevin I think you bit on it. These details that we make or the weathering you do or the interiors of. Uildings ray does are for us. We do it because we like to. No one else will care ten minutes after its out of their site save maybe a few others who appreciate the work.

That’s why I M glad Jean-Gilles came along when he did. It reminds fed me that no matter what it looks like I enjoyed doing my best to make it. That’s where the fun comes for me.

Hello and thanks to all
The continuation(suite) with some photos of subsets.

The dynamo.

The turret.

The headlight.

The compressor and the water pump gone up and painted

TO be continued

Gee, those valve handles look familiar. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Very nice work my friend

Now it’s time that I show you the “animal”.
I call back what is under construction, he stays some more of job.
Wheels are temporary because too small.

The beautiful sunbathing of spring

very nice,

Your plumbing elbows just gave me an idea on how to make mine. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Jean-Gilles,

Very nice. I have a question. Is this to be a working (running) loco or static display?

Thank you
She will be electric in R/C

I love that tender, so home brew looking it screams logging back shop built. Giving me some good ideas for a project I am planning. Cant wait to see how to comes together in the end. Mike