Large Scale Central

Poor planning=?

Well, this is what I get for not making plans:

I’ve got a seven foot span and now I’ve got 4 five foot bridges. I’m going to bolt them together and redo the area to accommodate.

The fourth bridge is coming. I have several areas where I need bridges so things may change. The mainline is going to go all around the yard now creating the need for even more bridges…and who knows, maybe a double or triple main someday? I’m buying the bridges…then figuring where they’ll fit!

Thats not poor planning…thats just prototypical…

Looks like an “opportunity” to me. :wink:

I agree it does look like a opportunity.
Real RR’s had to build around or reshape all kinds of natural features. There is a prototype for everything when it comes to rolling stock and like that there is a bridge for every type of situation.

Of course in real life as well as our hobby it is easier and cheaper to lay track on flat land vs a bridge.

I’m sure you will figure it out.

Well, I’m playing around with them. They only bolt together one way unless I mod them. I’ve got other areas I can put them in also. I’m not sure I like them together even if temporary…

I agree Joe the bridges don’t look good together. I think it is the fact that they are different styles.

Can you cut the pony truss bridge in half? If you could then you could have it on both sides of the Howe Pratt through bridge and place it in front of your water fall. I think those 2 bridges make the most sense together. You could also flip the pony truss over and use it like that.
Or cut the girder bridge and use it upside down on both sides of the Howe Pratt through bridge.
If you could remove a layer of brick in front of the water fall the bridge and it’s abutments would be more visible and might become a real focal point to your RR.

I think the curved pony truss should be on its own since it is a pretty bridge.

Keep tinkering and Happy RRing

Joe could you build a pier/trestle system over your water feature, perhaps allowing you to move your bridges to other locations, for variety?

Thanks. I’m mulling it over. I have plenty of other areas that I may use the bridges for. I already poured those concrete abutments and may find it just as easy to build or buy a bigger bridge. It will come down to what’s available probably. Cash or use what I’ve got.

I already put together the start of a bridge that’s under the rails to cross the water. I have a feeling I should just finish it. I raised the block in front to make the water deeper because I didn’t want to tear it out and dig it deeper. I may pour a custom front at a lower height that holds up the liner better.

For a whole 'nuther approach, consider taking the track around the back of that waterfall and forget running a bridge in front of it like that. You get two advantages: first, the drama of trains disappearing for a bit, and second, a clear view of the waterfall.

Joe, many in our hobby (in our club, if you must know) think that the plan MUST be perfect before the first shovel of dirt is dug. This despite my constant reminder that this is a hobby, and that whatever can be done can be undone.

You’ve done us all a service, Joe, by reminding us of that. Maybe you don’t need all those bridges, or maybe you need more. Either situation can be fixed.

Thanks. This thread should be required reading for everyone.

joe,

Daniel Peck will build your bridges to your specs. high quality, great prices.

john

I’m getting to know some names here, just by looking around.
I have to ask, who’s Daniel Peck? Is he Bridgemasters?
I get private showing up when I search. I have seen his posts.
http://www.largescalecentral.com/profile/daniel+peck

Joe,
Use the “send message” feature.
Daniel’s not on the forum much. But he should get your email.

He’s not “Bridgemasters”.
Ralph

I here!!! Here is a web site with some of my custom work… Need to get hold of me Peckdaniel73 (AT) Yahoo.com
http://dandjrailroad.com/?page_id=18

Take a look.

Ooops. I thought I knew that name. I lost track of that wharehouse building. Looks fantastic painted! Great looking bridges and that engine house looking structure is also amazing!
I should point out that I made this post in humor. I bought three used bridges for nearly less than the steel costs each. They were up for bid and no one bid on them? I already had made the pond. I have other areas to cross and I know I’ll need all the bridges I have + some. I need to make a wash for the rain water or bury a pipe underground. The wash would be easier than the pipe which would need to run almost the entire length of the property to achieve proper pitch.