Large Scale Central

POC's Old Mill Lbr. Mill & Car Storage

Richard Smith said:

tac Foley said:

My favourite trucking line - after Foley Fast Freight Forwarding, o’course…

‘Mmmmmmmm, pie…’

tac

[b]The pride of the fleet whereof Terry speaketh…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/richard_smith/2013/BandonFrtHouse-25-FoleyShop-2008Sep21-Web.JPG)

Eat your heart our Noel.[/b] :wink:

Least you have a way out if you have a run a way down hill. hahahaha, Neat truck there, Like it…,
Oh… where is nbr. 1 and 2? or are they the one’s that tangled up in the race?
(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/noelw/Smilies/23_33_13.gif)

That’s my grandpa. He has just untangled that buggy and child from the front of the loco and is in the process of hurling it clear off the trestle…

Of course, others are welcome to put any other interpretation on it that they wish.

tac

PS - there is only ONE kind of pie in Oregon - Marionberry pie - all else is superfluous.

Richard,

Great work. Thanks for sharing. I would like to do something similar on my railroad. Would you please share the wall heights, dimensions, and exterior board with? How do you mount the structure to the base?

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Mario McCarthy said:

Richard,

Great work. Thanks for sharing. I would like to do something similar on my railroad. Would you please share the wall heights, dimensions, and exterior board with? How do you mount the structure to the base?

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Thanks Mario,

The actual dimensions aren’t of great concern as long as the rolling stock clears in height and width inside. The tracks were already down with the idea that there would be a structure over them.

I used 13" width inside for two tracks and minimum 7" clearance above the rails in height. I allowed 18" length for each car inside with a few inches extra making the structure just a tad short of 11 feet total. Then everything was built around those minimums. Any structure built for concealed storage will have to be adjusted for your own particular rolling stock. If I remember right I believe my sidewalls were about 9" high outside except for the high section.

The rear is simply 3/4" cedar stock painted without detail as it won’t show, The front is about 1/2" PVC sheet with 1/8" thick x 3/8" wide boards nailed and/or glued on top. Note that scale boards would be about 1/16" or so but since the thickness isn’t visible in the finished model I prefer a heftier board thickness for outdoors.

As you can see I model on outdoor benchwork. I prepare a “foundation” of 1.5" thick PT wood ripped to about 2" or a little less screwed down to the benchwork. A flange inside the building wall is nailed to the foundation with shingle nails. You don’t need many. I used to use screws but when one or two got rusted in it was a real hassle to remove the structure without damage later if needed. I find the nails hold sufficiently to secure against wind and can still be pried out. Be sure and drill pilot holes for the screws and nails to help avoid splitting.

Post some pictures if you decide to build a storage/industry for yourself. We all love to see the work of others.

tac Foley said:

PS - there is only ONE kind of pie in Oregon - Marionberry pie - all else is superfluous.

…Tell me about this pie!

(http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/horror/scary-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif)

See my post under - Other hobbies.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Deputy Chairman & Event Arranger - Port Orford Blinking Light Appreciation Society

tac Foley said:

That’s my grandpa. He has just untangled that buggy and child from the front of the loco and is in the process of hurling it clear off the trestle…

Of course, others are welcome to put any other interpretation on it that they wish.

tac

Hey… It depends on what part of Oregon you lived in… We for a few yrs’, WE and a Truck buddy owned Rome station in Rome, Oregon …( PoP 7 ) And it was imported Apricot pie… LoL…

"Now… you are going to have to find a Map to find the town… lol. "

Thanks for the info!

Richard, I don’t know how I missed this post. Beautiful work! I really like the size of the building. Great work and thanks for sharing it.

Terry