Large Scale Central

POC's New Turntable Part One - 10 Photos

[b]This is a simple easy to build turntable built to a design pioneered by Dave Goodson…

Yes indeed, this is a genuine “Goodson Patented Turntable”! Nothing but the best for the POC. :slight_smile:

The turntable begins as a cedar blank cut to 1-1/2" high, 4" wide and 29" long. The hole was bored with a forstner bit to allow a force fit for an electrical conduit liner.

The liner is installed in the hole. No need to glue or otherwise secure it. The post on the benchwork segment is the next size smaller and telescopes inside the turntable liner with a close fit, very little slop.

This shows the turntable on the post which will later be attached to the benchwork.

The post mounted on the benchwork.

The turntable will pivot on the post and swing out ala Goodson.

The base with a little over half a pit will be mounted on the benchwork top to provide a smooth surface for the turntable. It is made of PVC sheet. One word of warning: I have had mixed results with some uses of PVC sheet outdoors. Mostly, especially for roofs, it has worked out well but for flat surfaces I’ve found it sometimes warps from the heat of the sun. I’m gambling that if well secured and because the location is mostly shade that it will work out well. If you have a hotter, sunnier location it might be better to use something like marine plywood and adjust the pivot post and approach tracks’ height accordingly.

The turntable blank is set on the pivot and a line drawn along the end of the turntable to show the minimum clearance required for the turntable to swing. This will provide the guideline for building the pit wall.

While we have the PVC floor outside we measured and installed additional support framing for securing the pit floor when completed.

The pit with wall and painted & weathered. The pit wall is built up of cedar ties finished with Dark Mahogany spray stain by Behlen. PT blocks are glued behind for extra support strength. They will be covered with scenery and not show. Part Two will pick up with completing the turntable bridge itself and installing its track.[/b] http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/13655/poc-s-new-turntable-part-two-1

Good start Richard.

Great idea, this gives me something to think about for my storage yard inside my shop. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve liked this idea since I first saw it being used.

What sizes did you use for the “bearings?”

Steve Featherkile said:
What sizes did you use for the "bearings?"
Sorry Steve I didn't notice your query sooner...all the action was on Part Two I guess.

The post in the benchwork is 1" PVC electrical rigid conduit schedule 40 which has an od of a tad over 1-1/4". The larger is also the same stuff but the next size up and telescopes over the smaller with a very small slop giving a most ample fit without sticking. It is about 1-5/16" od. The outside measurements are approximate.

Schedule 40 elec. conduit has a thick enough wall to make for a very rigid bearing ensuring good alignment for the turntable to the tracks and has proven to be weatherproof on the other turntable which has been outside in all weather since 2004 except for the winter months when it is stored inside since operation is curtailed because of rainy weather. The post in the benchwork remains outdoors all the time of course.