Large Scale Central

Plow Extra for the Winter that Wasn't

For only the second time this winter, we have measurable snow. About 4-5" of wet stuff covered the ground this morning. By lunch time it was 39F, so Management decided to clear the line if we could. Three locomotives, two C-19’s and a 45 Ton diesel helper were assembled on the main in Willow Hill where the weather is always balmy…

Once equipment was checked out, the crew high-balled for the portal to another world, the East/West Es-cap`e Bridge…

The company drone caught the plow extra as it rounded the first curve and headed up grade…

Several attempts were made to conquer the curving grade at Coal Dump Curve. Here the train re–groups to accelerate into the snow bank for one more try…

The heavy wet snow proved to be too tough to bust with the wedge. The train has stalled at Wall Station…

Feeling defeated, the crew backs the train home,. toward warmer climes…

Back on the East Es-cap`e bridge, the train pauses to clean off accumulated snow before putting things away…

That looks cool, Jon. Not sure what this white stuff you call snow is, but whatever it is, please keep it up there :grin:

Looks god Jon. Been snowing off and on here for the last 2 weeks but I’m too lazy to get out and clear the lines. :grin:

It looked like you had enough power for the train but sometimes the snow is just too heavy. You get an “A” for effort. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not unusual to have problems plowing on this curve. It’s a steep 4% curve. With wet, heavy snow, the equipment just wasn’t up to the task. I could have kept hammering it and might have got through, but I decided to be kind to the locos.

My plow is a lead sled … with a chunk on the deck and some between the frame and the engines have lead mounted in the fuel tanks … helps keep them on the rails and slipping as well

Years ago, when I was running mostly 1:29, I had a pair of Geeps and an SD-45 as my plow train. The SD-45 had the weight in the tank. I was usually successful at getting up the hill. By 2001 I was getting into battery power and had a trail car for the battery with just the SD-45…

!

Later that year I added and RS-3 to the train for the spring clean-up…

Beautiful!