Large Scale Central

Playing a small part in a restoration

Back in February, a guy on one of the railroad signal groups I’m on was showing his work on a US&S 1909 Electric Interlocking Machine.

He said that he didnt have all the tag numbers, and was looking for someone to print some in resin so he could cast them. I volunteered. They’re pretty simple, a disc with a raised edge, and a number in a certain font. After a couple of back and forths to figure out exactly how they can be cast, we settled on a design.

Meanwhile, I had developed a serious allergy to the resin I print with, so much so that I’ve stopped for a while. I engaged the services of @Cliff_Jennings to print the final batch, and I sent them off to him a couple weeks ago.

He (and his daughter) cast them up last night, and they came out amazing.

Many thanks to Cliff for pulling my bacon out of the fire at the end of this project.

6 Likes

Bob,

Neat project, and sorry to hear you are allergic to the resin. is it due to physical contact, or just being in the vicinity of it that causes the reaction.

Al P.

Wow, those did come out great. I didn’t know one could cast brass in the garage. Amazing! Thanks for posting on the final results!

Just in the vicinity of it. It didnt bother me for months, then in January I got a reaction (I was gloving, use a full-face respirator, force vent the fumes out the window) and then got it worse a month ago, eyes swollen, dry skin, etc. I guess next is a full hazmat suit or something.