Large Scale Central

Plants for the Bluestone Southern

Andy Clarke said:
Jon, We just trench out the base, fill in with ""Aglime"", higher than I want the first course, then place in the bottom brick/block and hammer in with a rubber hammer, until level, then move on to the next one.... The base course is what's important, after that's in, it's just stacking bricks/blocks....
That's about the same way I do it. Took me almost two weeks of evenings and weekends to do the base course for a a 20 footer.
Jon Radder said:
Andy Clarke said:
Jon, We just trench out the base, fill in with ""Aglime"", higher than I want the first course, then place in the bottom brick/block and hammer in with a rubber hammer, until level, then move on to the next one.... The base course is what's important, after that's in, it's just stacking bricks/blocks....
That's about the same way I do it. Took me almost two weeks of evenings and weekends to do the base course for a a 20 footer.
Doing that large wall, I could set in about 8-9 base blocks, before I needed a break, then go back and set another 8-9.... I bascially stayed on the ground, and Jane handed me the blocks....

Jon don’t let him fool ya. He’s hiding one of them automatic block machines with his automatic Trackbender/layer that he won’t tell us about.

Ron Hill said:
Andy, how are you going to water all of those plants? It will take hours with a garden hose. Are you going to install a drip irrigation system?
Cheap plants are the key...if they make it so be it if the don't then get more cheap plants. Some of the best plants/flowers we have here were purchased 1/2 dead and took well. Others that we paid fair price for did not do so well. Actually knowing Andy he probably has a French Maid outfit and a spray bottle to mist his plants every morning. ;)

Dave that’s two really bad images you’ve given us and I’m really starting to wonder about that avitar

David Marconi said:
Dave that's two really bad images you've given us and I'm really starting to wonder about that avitar
What? OK sorry I'll fix it!
David Russell said:
David Marconi said:
Dave that's two really bad images you've given us and I'm really starting to wonder about that avitar
Do you live in "Gobblerville" or somewhere close by? :P

Sorry Andy, I thought that machine had a backhoe on it. Makes my back hurt even more thinkin about all the “wall!”

I plant my trees in their pots, just trim off the excess above the soil, works great. Easy to dig them up if they die, but does not seem to be a problem, many are 10 years old. Best thyme that we have found was from High Country Gardens catalog, does not seem to die back like the local stuff we bought. Speedwell works well as a groundcover also. Avoid the Yellow Acre sedum, it is highly invasive.

Ken, a backhoe attachment for it, is about 4,500 - 5,000 bucks… can’t afford that…
But I do drool, each time I see a backhoe… :slight_smile:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
David Russell said:
David Marconi said:
Do you live in "Gobblerville" or somewhere close by? :P
That's actually an Emu......I have a 9yr old and take the camera every where we go. ;)

Well, pardon me, I thought it was a Penna turkey. :smiley:

This is the last patch Jane got from Home Depot, with a few dwarf elms thrown in from a nursery…

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/andyc/Outside%20Layout%20Pictures/Woodlawn%20Cliff%20%20%2010-08-09/Dwarf%20trees%20and%20shrubs%20Pic%201.jpg)

Most will go on the hill, in Woodlawn and the rest around there…

OK Dad!
Serious question!!
In looking at your picture above and with the recent summer rains we have all experienced on the east coast. Have you watched the water flow on the grading during hellish down pours as I don’t ever remember this being discussed?
If not please press 1
If so please press 2
If you would like a repeat of this menu please press pound.
If you would like your message with normal delivery please press 1
If you have a fetish for yard birds please hold as an operator is standing by.

Still holding!
Wondering whats going on at Tony’s end of the world?
do do do…were sorry the number your trying to call has been disconnected!

Editing to say the B.S. rules and i still think it should be the G.S
:slight_smile:

DavidR… The simple answer is Button number 2, ““Yes””…

The 5 acres between me and the State Highway mostly drains back onto me, along with part of the crop field to the north, and the crop field to the south… The north crop field has to culverts to flow the water onto my property and the 5 acres between me and the highway has 3 points of entry for rainwater to flow onto me…

One reason for the dry creeks, is to flow they water off the railroad… When it rains, it mostly pours… It’s not very often that we get a real good slow soaker rain…

Eventually, I plan on putting in a pond on the east end of the property, maybe 3/4’s to an acre… I figure, two good rains, and it will be full…

Basically, when I build a new section, it’s the water runoff that I look at…