Large Scale Central

Planning a Switchback

So I bought a copy of “Norfolk & Westerns Pocahontas Division” to help me explore the mining branches and towns I encounter on my average workday. Loads of information and several bad ideas…

“…with the steep gradient it was impractical to set up tipple tracks alongside the spur. Instead the operation was worked from a switchback into a hollow extending eastward of fairly level ground. Two tracks off the switchback extended along the ridgeside and and expanded into three beneth the tipple. these reformed into one track which opened up into three storage tracks…”

I’m thinking this is gonna be the seed for the mining operation on the new Buchanan Branch. the Branchline decends into a gorge from the mainline…crosses a river and them arrives at an area where the mine is…but due to gradients and space limitations, the mine has to be reached by a switchback. Incidentally this operation is prolly why the WV&K owns a four truck Shay, two three trucks, and a couple smaller ones…

What I’m wondering is whats the best way to figger out all the grades and transitions an so forth. I figger the tipple tracks and switchback to be an upper level built adjacent to the new privacy fence I’m putting in and working down from there…then figure out the base track for the branchline then work up from there to the mainline. Remember that I’m elevating everingthing on PT 2x…Thoughts? Ideas? Past Experiences?

I think it may depend on how much elevation you intend to design into the layout. Best to keep the gradient to 2-4%, less is better, so you may need very long switchbacks in order to manage any elevation gain. (Think 1-1/4 inches vertical rise per 8 feet or so). Hence alot of room may be needed to accomplish your goal. Need to know a little more.

after a lot of practical tests, the steepest i dare to build is a 1.4 inch rise per foot (6%) for stainzes and motorized tenders towing a five foot long train. (five small cars)
(for that the locos and tenders need about 1/2 pound of additional weight each)

edit: on an earlier layout i went up to 8%, but only with three short cars per train

A friend of mine has a switch back on his layout. I forget the grades but it goes up five tiers. I want to say its a 4% grade. You can fit a Shay and one log car on the smallest switchback spur. If I had a spot to build one I would do one. It looks really good. Cant wait to see what you come up with. Ill try to get pictures of my friends and more details.

Bart,
I’d probably think about it in terms of steps. Each switchback will be one step. I’m thinking the lead to each switch should be fairly level, but the track to get there will be pretty steep.

Now, the question is how much room do you have? In other words, how long do I run before I reach the next step. And how high do you need to get? Once you know that, you should be able to figure out how many steps you need to reach the top.

Since you have Shays I’d be looking at something like 8 or 10% grade; 4% will just take too much track and isn’t THAT bad of a grade. I have two 4%+ grades on my layout and I have no problem with my rod engines pulling trains up those grades. I’d run some tests to see how many cars your Shays can pull at different grades and let that be the determining factor for grades.

On the one that I’m starting on it will access a processing mill. It will have a 5 percent grade and is being designed to handle small trains to increase operations. Since it’s at the high side of the layout it will look taller than it is. I’m building it to handle the center cab and the Shay. It is going to take more space than it looks.

100 yards of fill is good starter for “mountain”. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Actually a lot of mine is rocks!