Large Scale Central

Planning a siding. Help!

Here is my proposed siding area for my indoor layout. I am planning to isolate/insulate the track in the three sections that are shown. The blue line on the lower edge of the drawing is the mainline (but it is curved not straight as shown). The two long “stub” sidings are about 12’ long, the short stub is about 2’ long and the passing siding is about 25’ long. I am hoping some of you ‘operation-types’ here can offer any suggestions before I install this track. The main is set and the passing siding is set.

I guess it’s too late, but … sure would make for smoother operation if the mainline would use the diverging route of the turnouts (change the one on the left for the one on the right). Whenever I see a curved approach to a siding location where the turnout then generates a reversing S-curve, I … (what were they thinking???) :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

What’s the purpose of the short stub track? Running in the opposite direction means loosing useable length on the long track, having to do a run around on the main just to access that track isn’t so hot either.

I know what I was thinking. I have more traffic on the main line. Also higher speed traffic. So the diverging route goes to the yard. A picture for you, HJ. So you can shake your head, one more time :wink: Ralph

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/cabby/_forumfiles/GRR5007Medium.jpg)

I rest my case

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/hj/_forumfiles/Hill01a.jpg)

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Oncemore, Joerg, i have to say, thats right.

The only thing i didnt like at the original plan was the short track that has no use, not even to prevent a side-collision, because its a bump-track and no driving train can come from behind.
So the only thing for that track would be to take a loco aside.

its a lost track and a lost switch.

Regarding the original plan, why not building in one of the red switches in the blue(violett) siding?
That gives two much longer bump-tracks AND a switch over!

if there is enough space (i remember its indoors), the leftover switch could be built in to lead to the left side. So u can leave back cars in this station behind coming from every direction without switching arround the train. Just uncouple and head back in one of the bump-tracks…

Greetings

Frank

I like the picture, it might get the award for the most S curves in the least space!

On the helpful side, since there is no “switching lead”, possibly 2 turnouts at the ends of the sidings for “engine escape?”

Regards, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:
I like the picture, it might get the award for the most S curves in the least space!

Regards, Greg

No guts, no glory :wink:
I’ve seen many “S” curves railfanning over the years. Class 1 mainline, not narrow gauge.
The rail line between Tryon, NC. and Hendersonville, NC. has numerous “S” curves.
As well as the steepest standard gauge grade east of the Mississippi.
Ralph

Thanks folks for the tips, I just wish I understood the terminology.

The drawing I posted was very poor representation of the actual layout. I was more concerned about the placement of the sidings and how to make it work for the era I am modeling. I am hoping to store cars and extra locomotives. The ability to drop off cars and rebuild a train would be a plus.