Large Scale Central

Piko vs. LGB?

I am replacing my trestle with a larger R3 version. My intention is to use all LGB track as I love the way it looks when it corrodes. I got a scream’n deal on a good amount of NIB 2/4 foot straight sections but no such luck on the R3 curves I need.

So the question is, does anyone know if the brass alloy used in the Piko track is the same as that used for LGB? Has anyone used both and found they age the same?

The difference in cost is not horrible, about $70.00 for my needs but I am not adverse to saving money if I can!

Mark V said:

I am replacing my trestle with a larger R3 version. My intention is to use all LGB track as I love the way it looks when it corrodes. I got a scream’n deal on a good amount of NIB 2/4 foot straight sections but no such luck on the R3 curves I need.

So the question is, does anyone know if the brass alloy used in the Piko track is the same as that used for LGB? Has anyone used both and found they age the same?

The difference in cost is not horrible, about $70.00 for my needs but I am not adverse to saving money if I can!

According to German fora the composition is the same, it also (supposedly!) comes out of the same drawing die at the same mfg. HOWEVER the tie pattern is definitely different; LGB is typically NG (and elephant proof), PIKO looks more like SG.

Thanks Hans.

The tie spacing could bug me but nice to know about the brass alloy being the same. Should get some standard spaced ties for my “mainline” but I think I will pop for the LGB on my current project so it is a match.

I can’t speak to the origin of the rail that Piko and TrainLine45 use for their respective lines of track, but both manufacturers’ rail weathers very similarly to LGB in very short order outdoors.

In the examples I have here, the ties themselves are pretty darned close in terms of overall size and spacing. Without running downstairs to do a side-by-side comparison, I’ve mixed the two in the past and not noticed there was a difference unless I looked very closely at the specific shape of the ties. (LGB’s are a bit “rounder” than the others.) Doubtful once it’s in the ground (or on a trestle) you’d ever notice the difference.

Later,

K

Kevin Strong said:

I can’t speak to the origin of the rail that Piko and TrainLine45 use for their respective lines of track, but both manufacturers’ rail weathers very similarly to LGB in very short order outdoors.

In the examples I have here, the ties themselves are pretty darned close in terms of overall size and spacing. Without running downstairs to do a side-by-side comparison, I’ve mixed the two in the past and not noticed there was a difference unless I looked very closely at the specific shape of the ties. (LGB’s are a bit “rounder” than the others.) Doubtful once it’s in the ground (or on a trestle) you’d ever notice the difference.

Later,

K

Kevin,

Time to take a six inch piece of each track and compare them side by side. It has been done in other magazines it would be time that GR revisits the matter and does some comparisons. And while there check for gauge on the various components.