Large Scale Central

Piko Switches: Quality?

I’m collecting track and LGB 16XX switches for an indoor project this fall, my first indoor layout. The used LGB you find on Ebay vary from " a real mess" to " fresh out of the box". I have 1 Train-li switch; it is well made and I would spring for these new but I need too many.

So; about the Piko switches. Their price new is better than the used LGB from Ebay. Are they at least the same quality as the original LGB line?

RichK

Rich, I too have been waiting for someone to speak up. Maybe you have to have the special handshake.

They’re every bit as good as LGB and Train Line 45’s switches, at least out of the box. I can’t speak to how they hold up long term outside since I don’t actually use them (product review samples), but I’d have every reason to believe they’re at least as reliable as the LGB switches. Everything I’ve seen from both Piko and Train Line 45’s track products appear to be every bit as solid as LGB’s track.

Now, if they’d only do code 250…

Later,

K

John Miller said:
Rich, I too have been waiting for someone to speak up. Maybe you have to have the special handshake.
Looks like I final got a response Thanks Kevin

One thing to keep in mind: PIKO’s track geometry is not identical to LGB’s i.e.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/hj/_forumfiles/PIKO_LGB.jpg)

The Grid is 50mm

Looks close enough for me.

“Close enough” doesn’t figure in my geometry book. :lol: :wink: :lol:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
"Close enough" doesn't figure in my geometry book. :lol: ;) :lol:
Euclid salutes you :D
Chris Vernell said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
"Close enough" doesn't figure in my geometry book. :lol: ;) :lol:
Euclid salutes you :D
Hmmmm, it's all Greek to me!

Any way to add a bit to the usual confusion on PIKO’s geometry, to show the difference I used the same elements PIKO quotes on their website i.e. to replicate the dimensions of a G-WxR5 turnout one takes for the straight portion “1x G-G320 + 1x G-G160” (321,54 mm+160,77 mm=482.31mm) for the curved portion “3x G-R5, 7,5°” (r = 1.200 mm/7,5°). To contrast this the R5 15º section is listed as “r = 1.243,08 mm/15°”.

I simply love it when the Germans, in their best attempt at being German, get down to the nitty-gritty specifying the exact dimensions of any given item. It may not fit precisely into the geometry they dreamt up, but by George they have it down to the 100th of a Millimeter. :lol: :lol:

I have three Piko switch motors each about a year old and operating remotely, and two LGB switch motors nearly 8 years old where I can operate them either manually or remotely. All five are hooked up to Aristocraft switches. My remaining 12 switches are manually operated Aristocrafts. The Piko motors operate just as well as the LGB and are allegedly waterproof in contrast to the LGB, but I’ve had no such trouble with either one. I admit one of the first three Piko motors was defective in that it seemed to snag and wouldn’t throw completely, but my dealer swapped a new one for me and exclaimed that it was the first and only Piko switch ever returned to him. He sent it to the Piko shop to ascertain the problem. I never heard the answer. I conclude the Piko switch motors are just as good as the LGB and less espensive. If I buy more switch motors for remote operation, they will be Piko.